Pre attaching DSMB to Spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FireInMyBones

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Two questions:

1) How do you attach a finger spool to a DSMB for storage in a pocket. I love the ease of deployment that is shown in the 5th-DX DVDs and other DIR videos.

2) Has anyone had any experience with the Deep Sea Supply DSMB? I like the look and the simple design but I am unfamiliar with the "unique single piece OPV." Is it good for anything other than calm surface conditions?

I am looking to get something for my recreational diving to include ocean diving. I have a 50# lift bag for diving doubles and it is too big for this purpose, I think and is only ~ 1.5' tall inflated.

Hi Jeremy,

I can't answer your first question. I can't keep my smb and spool pre-rigged, because they won't lay flat in my thigh pocket very well if they are connected. I have Dive Rite pockets glued to my wetsuit, but I would like bigger pockets.

On to your second question. My wife bought a DSS SMB a few months ago, and loves it. I will probably get one also. The OPV that's on it is different than the typical ones with the pull cord, which let's it roll up into a smaller package.
The inflation tube doesn't have the flange that other SMB's have, it's just a tube that rolls up nicely into the rolled up SMB.
At 30 ft. it only takes one easy breath to have it fully inflated at the surface.
The small stowed size is the biggest positive for me, due to the small pockets I have. The small size and shape make for easy inflation, my Dive Rite SMB takes a couple of big breaths for me to inflate at a similar depth. I don't mind inflating a bigger SMB, but the rolled up size is what I do like.
Of course there is a visibility trade off at the surface, but for most of our dives it's not too much of an issue.
In reality the bigger SMB never seem to get fully inflated at the surface, so the visibility difference isn't as great as the advertized lengths would have you believe.

-Mitch

a. To attach the finger spool to the DSMB, just attach it! That is, put the loop of line through the ring on the DSMB and then lock the line with the double-ender snap -- one end through a hole in the side of the spool along with capturing the line (thus locking the line) and the other end of the double-ender clipped to the tie in your pocket.

b. I have, and use, a DSS DSMB and like it -- easy to blow up, easy to deflate.

I carry a metal spool attached to a DSS SMB as a pre-rig. The spool's line is attached with a Lark's Head knot using the loop tied in the bitter end of the spool. The line, and thus the SMB, is snugged down with a double ender. I've never had an issue with it fitting easily into the pocket.

This is my utility SMB, used for simple stuff like deco close to shore, or free-water deco in benign surface conditions. It is the one I shoot 9 times out of 10. If there is a chance of being blown off a wreck or pinnacle offshore, and I definitely want to be seen before I drift out of easy sight, I will bring along one of those 50 lb 7' tall SMB's also.

I love the DSS SMB. It deploys easily, shoots without changing buoyancy one whit, and is very easy to see at the surface because it stands upright without effort. A lot of thought went into the design, and it's built to match the way we really do things.

All the best, James

All of my spools have a loop tied in the end -- when I pre-rig an SMB, I pass the loop through the attachment point on the SMB (for my Halcyons, it's a little d-ring if I remember right) and then pass the spool through the loop. Presto -- a connection that can't come untied! I have no problems storing the setup like this, with a double-ender clipping the line to the spool and the whole assembly to the loop in my pocket.

As far as the DSS SMB goes, it is as tall and I think as visible as any 3' SMB. It is easier to get inflated, volume-wise, because of the taper. I do not like the inflation nipple for oral inflation in cold water, because I have great trouble sealing my lips around it when they are cold and numb. And I don't like the flat exhaust valve, because I find it annoying to empty the bag on the surface before the boat comes -- the pull OPVs are much easier. This is one of the very few (and may be the only) thing DSS makes that I prefer in another brand.

...It is the one I shoot 9 times out of 10. If there is a chance of being blown off a wreck or pinnacle offshore, and I definitely want to be seen before I drift out of easy sight, I will bring along one of those 50 lb 7' tall SMB's also...

What bag do you use 1:10 times? How do you get the 7' bag to stand up from depth without being hauled to the surface? Slowly release air from your wing before putting more air in?

...This is one of the very few (and may be the only) thing DSS makes that I prefer in another brand.

What brand do you prefer and why?
----------
New question:

What length spool do you find most useful for this task? I figure I shouldn't be sending one up deeper than 100'. At the same time, do I need one that has that much line on it or would waiting to shoot from 60' be better?

Last edited:
Fire -- If I'm reading FDog's post correctly, he uses one of the big (6-7 foot) bags, brand undeclared (mine is, hmmm, can't remember!) for when he is in REAL open water and needs a bag that will be seen by the boat.

How to get a 50 lb bag to stand up? Well, you shoot it (might be a two person job), let it unwind the spool, and then you put tension on it to keep it upright. The tension might be only a couple of pounds of downward pressure. (Note, some of us lazy types end up a bit negative and use the downward pressure to easily hold our stops.)

Depending on the depth where you shoot the bag, you might not need all that much air to get it to the surface and the natural expansion will fill it up. OR, you might go a little negative OR you might go a little head down/finning down, against the new pressure from the bag and once you release it, just stop finning.

TSandM uses/prefers the Halcyon 3 footer.

I honestly don't know how much line is on the spool(s) I use -- at least 60 feet. I suppose I/we really should unwind all of our spools and measure/mark them. One more thing I probably won't get around to doing -- but a good project!

If you want to pre-attach the spool to the DSMB, just loop the spool itself through the loop at the end of the line (around the DSMB attachment point).

I prefer to keep them separate though - as this allows me to quickly use the spool for other purposes that may arise

I don't store mine in a pocket. I either clip them off to the right hip D-ring or my butt D-ring depending on my gear configuration. I prefer to keep them pre-rigged (as the others have said with a loop in the line) for easier deployment.

I have a 3 footer but it is my backup, I carry a DAN 6 foot as my normal DSMB / SS. If I NEED a boat to see me on the surface, I want the extra footage.

How much line you want on the spool depends on where you are going to shoot the bag -- the one thing you DON'T want is to shoot it from your current depth and discover you don't have enough line :)

On recreational dives, I generally try to shoot the bag at about 40 feet or so (just so I only have to fill it half full to have it full at the surface) so I probably only need 50 or 60 feet of line (although high current or wind will use up the extra very quickly) and I use a 100 foot spool. On technical dives, you generally shoot either when you leave the wreck or at 70 feet (because you're going to spend a bunch of time there, anyway) so you need quite a bit more line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom