Practicing backkick in pool w/o fins...works

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb:
I tried it in the pool too. It definitely works...as do helicopter turns but...and here's the caveat...the actual motion you make in the pool is much more "leg" than fin, and I believe it could actually teach your motor memory a "wrong" motion which will not be optimal once you put the fins on.

In addition to UnderwaterDaphne's query..."how does this kick go?"

Could you also speak some of this helicopter turn. Curious if these are something I already know but by different names...or new skills that I should get to know.

Thanks for taking the time!

Cathy

waterdaughter:
In addition to UnderwaterDaphne's query..."how does this kick go?"

Could you also speak some of this helicopter turn. Curious if these are something I already know but by different names...or new skills that I should get to know.

Thanks for taking the time!

Cathy

Some folks, I was one, think they know the helicopter turn when in reality they are simply swimming a circle with small radius. A true helicopter is actually a spin around a point like a top spins around its tip. This requires backward finning with one foot and forward finning with the other. The videos move pretty quick so its hard to see or analyze these motions, but try to see it happening.

Or, you can just use a one legged back kick. It will be slower, but it accomplishes the same thing. This method was used during fundamental classes in the past.

jbd:
Some folks, I was one, think they know the helicopter turn when in reality they are simply swimming a circle with small radius. A true helicopter is actually a spin around a point like a top spins around its tip. This requires backward finning with one foot and forward finning with the other. The videos move pretty quick so its hard to see or analyze these motions, but try to see it happening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom