Practice Spots in Sacramento

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pfhil

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals...

I'm new to the sport, having just over 10 dives. I was wondering, given my distance to the ocean (2-3 hours), are there any public areas around Sacramento where I could practice? I'm thinking public pools, lakes, etc.

Thanks!

Check with the LDS's around your area and see if there's any clubs you could join. I'm sure they'll be able to help you.

Hi Guys and Gals...

I'm new to the sport, having just over 10 dives. I was wondering, given my distance to the ocean (2-3 hours), are there any public areas around Sacramento where I could practice? I'm thinking public pools, lakes, etc.

Thanks!

There are a couple of lakes that are available - but both don't have the greatest viz... Folsom and Lake Natoma. I've heard that a couple of shops here do do some diving in these (Scuba World and one shop in folsom, which I think is Fish Eye). However, right now the water is pretty chilly since it's got a lot of snow runoff right now from the mountains.

For pools, there's always the YMCA downtown which has an indoor pool, or the Swimstitute in Rancho which also is indoors. I don't know of any others off hand.

willow creek in lake natoma is where my gf and i have been. its ok. we do a surface swim to one of the buoys and use it as a guide down, its pretty shallow 25ft -36ft at best. like previously stated it is pretty cold at the moment and vis is less than ideal but from spring to fall i think its a pretty nice place to get wet. beals point in folsom lake is supposed to be alright as well, but i have not dove it yet :) as for indoor places, i think dolphin scuba will let you use their pool for a fee but im not sure of the specifics. hope this helps :)

JQ

Hi Guys and Gals...
Thanks!

the American river....

on Vimeo
[vimeo]15843927[/vimeo]

on Youtube,
[youtubehq]8h1dv7YniZ8[/youtubehq]

the American river....

on Vimeo
[vimeo]15843927[/vimeo]

on Youtube,
[youtubehq]8h1dv7YniZ8[/youtubehq]

Where did you enter and exit?

Im in woodland so i might be interested in doing some dives on a weekend when I dont have time to head up to tahoe or monterey.

Where did you enter and exit?
just play again the end of the video and you will easyly understand where we entered and exit (same little beach, in Folsom Powerhouse state park. :wink:

Folsom Lake ! Folsom Point (Dyke 8)... going there tomorrow actually.. Never dove this site but just gonna head out to work on some things.. We are doing the American River Drift on Memorial Day (Monday) with our Dive shop (FishEye Scuba in Folsom) ..I heard it was lots of fun.. U should head out with us!

Hi Guys and Gals...

Thanks!

You mention pool use. What kind of skills are you thinking of practicing in a pool?

For real quick access for practicing open water skills, I like the Granite Bay area of Folsom Lake. The visablity is sometimes not so good, but it is good enough for practicing skills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom