Power supply

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Dive4fun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I purchased a sound system for my boat and was going to install a marine amp. for the speeker system. With a 1000 - 1500 watt amp it is reccomended to use 4 guage power feeds from the battery to the amp. I will also have inline fuse at the battery. My question is the possable interfearance with VHF or other elctronics, GPS, depth sounder. Is there a concern for this.

Not likely, acoustic torpedoes my be of some concern however. :)
The biggest concern I would have would be my safety electronics resetting due to voltage dips caused by high drains on the battery. If it were me, I would install a separate battery system for the audio equipment and another for the marine electronics. I like to keep my pleasure equipment and my safety equipment on separate systems.

I totally agree with what herman said. Would really suck to have an emergency and find that your batteries have been run down from Ricky Martin being blasted for the past two hours.

I have dual batteries with isolation switch. I will remember to keep the battery seperate when the motor is not running.

The reason for my torpedo comment. Sound carries a long way over the water.

Perhaps Head sets at each seat location would be better. A 1000 watt sub mounted to the hull of the boat is for diver signal device. OK Not. I always had a wish to rush towards the beach with the music of Apocolypse Now.

2Dive4fun:
I purchased a sound system for my boat and was going to install a marine amp. for the speeker system. With a 1000 - 1500 watt amp it is reccomended to use 4 guage power feeds from the battery to the amp. I will also have inline fuse at the battery. My question is the possable interfearance with VHF or other elctronics, GPS, depth sounder. Is there a concern for this.

Ha ha - awesome - time and place for everything. There are places/times when you would need the power to hear the music in your own boat due to other boats cranking tunes. There are times/places where it's more about serenity.

With that kind of power draw I would use a seperate battery as well.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom