Power Pole at ABWA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chefchris

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What exactly is it? I've dove here twice but never made it over to that side. We're diving there again not this weekend but the next and I'm trying to plan out the dives.
smiley23.gif
Just curious if it's worth checking out.

Yo Chris I tried to make it over there the first time I went out there we made it about 1/2 of the way and turned around. Its a further swim than it looks. BTW ill be out there Sunday the 23rd

It is there. At least it was last year. Just a pole. Thats it. I had pictures but I can't find them now. Cleaned up the hard drive and got rid of a lot of what seemed to be useless pics. Would have come in handy today. Sorry.

I think I saw the power pole a couple of weeks ago. If that is what I saw, then snepdiver is right it is just a pole. It was a nice swim along the wall over to that area, but it's a long way back across to the platform!

I have started out that way and decided to turn around myself. There really is nothing much to see on the way out to the power pole.

Makes me wonder why they include it on the map?

Thanks for this thread. Family and I will be spending 2 days down there during Fall Break to have fun and to get ready for a Destin charter trip. We will not waste time and energy trying to get out there to it. Looking forward to seeing most of rest of stuff they have there, tho.

It is there. At least it was last year. Just a pole. Thats it. I had pictures but I can't find them now. Cleaned up the hard drive and got rid of a lot of what seemed to be useless pics. Would have come in handy today. Sorry.
Actually there are some items in the vicinity of the pole. Very close by is a pit with pipes and a valve, that is kind of cool. That's probably where water was pumped from the quarry while it was still active. Up against the wall of the quarry due south and a bit east is a very large collection of drainage culverts that are fun to swim around.

And just about due East from the power pole are the remnants of a corrugated aluminum structure like the buildings at Martha's. The power pole is on a large flat area at approximately 80 foot depth, and the remnants are on the wall that drops from the edge of the flat area down to the bottom of the quarry. So if you do the swim, there are a few things in the vicinity, if you know where they are...... :14:

David

Of course finding all this stuff is easier if you have a Silent Submerge........!

Actually there are some items in the vicinity of the pole. Very close by is a pit with pipes and a valve, that is kind of cool. That's probably where water was pumped from the quarry while it was still active.
I will have to look closer on my next visit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom