power inflater failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly I don't see how either the grommet or zip tie failures could be "unexpected". ...

I largely agree. It is “possible”, though your warnings are much more probable. Both types of clamp are injection molded. I have seen zip ties with mold-flow flaws that made them part too easily, but was not apparent without magnified inspection. It isn’t like this connection is the only point on a BC that is subject to manufacturing or maintenance flaws. How many people regularly remove the bag itself from the cover for inspection?

IMHO, a BC’s design and materials are too failure-prone to depend on it for survival. A nice convenience for sure, but assuming that it will fail would make everyone much safer.

You wouldn't need to change the power inflator ... just the hose. This one would work nicely ... Zeagle Replacement Corrugated BCD hose scuba diving gear at Zeagle Express

You can keep the power inflator and elbow you're currently using, as those aren't what failed. Rather than using the clamp which ... as you found out ... has a tiny little screw that can back out and release, use two zipties at each end.

For $20 you won't have to deal with that sort of failure again.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Have you seen the screw back out from the hose clamp? I have used Sea quest Bc's for a long time and those types of clamps seem much better to me than a zip tie.

I have never seen one give any hint of impending failure. I have used them on BC's since the late 70's. The nut is held stationary in a recessed "void" in the clamp. I suppose the tiny screw could start to back out, but after many years of diving, I have never seen it.

IMHO, a BC’s design and materials are too failure-prone to depend on it for survival. A nice convenience for sure, but assuming that it will fail would make everyone much safer.

And you would think that for the typical price they would be made from titanium or something. A fabric sack with a plastic bag in it and some more plastic bits. A huge profit center for the industry.

I glue the corrugated hoses to the fittings with Aqua Seal and then back that up with either one or two zip ties or preferably a snap clamp if I can find a good size.

N

Not all zip ties are UV friendly. If they are not marked as such when you buy them, don't assume they are. Better to change them regularly.

I have seen zip ties with mold-flow flaws that made them part too easily, but was not apparent without magnified inspection. It isn’t like this connection is the only point on a BC that is subject to manufacturing or maintenance flaws. How many people regularly remove the bag itself from the cover for inspection?

I had a weld on my wing fail when I fully inflated it pre-dive this summer. Luckily this was in my garage before I loaded my car, and I was able to substitute another wing. It would have been really irritating to get out on the boat in the middle of Lake Ontario and find that failure lol.

And you would think that for the typical price they would be made from titanium or something. A fabric sack with a plastic bag in it and some more plastic bits. A huge profit center for the industry…

There is enough competition that BCs probably aren’t exceptionally profitable. So where is the money going? I wonder if insurance and legal bills have anything to do with it? :wink:

Not all zip ties are UV friendly...

Good point, but why focus on zip ties when we know that the flex hose isn’t UV resistant and far more vulnerable. Here are some diving physics formulas to consider:

sun + diving gear = bad
garage fumes + diving gear = bad
BC + equipment dependency = dead

Too dramatic? :wink:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom