Powell River question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Les

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have never been to Powell River before but have to go up on Saturday. Not diving unfortunately. But just out of curiousity, where are the shore dive sites and what about the mermaid I have heard of? is that a shore or boat dive?
Les

Mermaid Cove is a shore dive. The mermaid herself is only in about 40ft of water, but swim past her, with her back to your back and you'll hit a beautiful wall. It's a gorgeous dive.

There are TONS of dive sites around (when I was there, we dove 4 or 5 different shore dive sites and there were lots more to choose from as well!), and the folks at Alpha Dive Services can tell you all about them and point you in the right direction (located on Thunder Bay Street). Check out http://www.divepowellriver.com

Too bad you can't dive this time round, but maybe next time. There's some great diving up there, and the visability up there is generally a thousand times better than it is in the Sound. :D

Yea, there's some sweet diving up there. Mermaid cove has some nice deep diving, I always do at least one deep dive there (130ft +). Just watch out, the good viz is misleading, you'll get down to 120 and it'll still be brighter than a dive to 60 in the howe sound. It's good luck to kiss the mermaid.
If you happen to see Jack (an older gentelman) at Alpha Diver services tell him that Brandon from UBC says hi (he may know me as the long haired one, or he may not remember me at all) and that we'll be up again in the fall.

Past by 2 dive shops. One in Sechelt and another/gas station in Powell River. I can't remember which was which as we were really pushing for time. couldn't stop in. stupid ferry loading system. Earls Cove waited 3 hours for the next sailing and we had barely anytime to make the last return ferry for the day from Powell River(4:20pm). Was Mermaids Cove at the campground just past the ferry terminal? beautiful scenery for the drive up. I am planningto do the REEF Great Annual Fish Count with EDGE DIVING (N.Van) up @ Sechelt Coopers Green on Sat. July 22. check out there site. I think there is a free fish ID refresher on the Thurs before. but I am working for that one. anyhoo hope you all can make it as well,
Les

Gotta love the ferries!
The shop in the gas station is alpha dive services, great place.
Mermaid cove is indeed the campground just past the ferry. Well, i'm not sure if it'sthe campground part but it is just past the ferry and it's quite well marked. It's a really nice dive.
I'd like to go on trip with edge, I like the store a lot, but alas I'll be in mexico (I'm sure you can hear me crying right now)

I, too, shall be in Mexico. God that sucks. :D

Hope you have a fun time doing the fish count dive though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom