Potentially Embarassing Fitness Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds

Contributor
Reaction score
Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
I just got a new soft weight belt and I was wondering if any fitness benefit might be derived from wearing it around the house while doing chores etc.? No laughing! I've seen joggers and ladies doing aerobics wearing ankle weights so why not walk around wearing a weight belt? Granted it is going to be targetting a different area than ankle weights. Input?

Well, sure it would! It would make your legs work harder, make your heartrate increase and help make your body work harder to maintain balance (as we all know, balance skill is good when walking suited up for a shore dive).

Go for it!

It's a soft weight belt and it only weighs 16lbs at the moment, how's it gonna hurt my toes? There are cats out there that weigh more than that and land on people's toes all the time :wink:

Actually, that's probably the only safe way to carry extra weight for exercise sake. Ankle and wrist weights are very hard on the joints and are now considered bad juju. I would start with less weight, though, until you get used to having that weight belt on, then work your way up to 16# over a couple of weeks. If you feel any joint or back pain, stop.

BTW, carrying 16# in a weight belt will give you some idea of what it would be like to carry an extra 16# of body fat. The distribution is not exactly the same, but it is indeed more work for your whole body no matter where you put it.

Cameron

CameronMartz:
BTW, carrying 16# in a weight belt will give you some idea of what it would be like to carry an extra 16# of body fat.
No kidding :11: I've noticed the same thing when carrying a backpack (or scuba gear, or SCBA)... the extra load on my joints is a good incentive to try to keep off the extra poundage!!

Nice brisk walks are the best ever, I'd be a bit nervous about carrying a weight belt around above surface as it might make pulling something a little easier.

get a more active job i wheel concrete in a wheel barrow all day and it help me i used to weigh 109 now i way 140, but im sure u make way more money then i do!! lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom