Potential Problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am half way through a 13 week scuba class at my University. The other day in the pool we were instructed to drop our mask to the bottom of the pool and decend on SCUBA to recover and clear our mask. I could not relax enough and could not get more than a few feet under water without coming back to the surface. I tried for a few minutes but could not seem to get to the bottom of the pool. The instructor recovered my mask for me and I was able to continue with the session.

After the session I began to think about what had occurred. I am able to ditch, recover, and clear my mask while under water, but feel like water is running into the back of my throat. Today in my bath tub I did a little experiment. I filled my mask with water placed it on my face and sure enough water runs into the back of my throat. No matter how much positive pressure I put into my mask, I can not seem to keep the water from running into my throat through my nose.

Is this going to cause me any problems? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct or work on this issue? Will it pass with time and practice? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's an easy fix; keep your chin tucked in to your chest. Or just pinch your nose closed.

Now, I assume your problem is breathing with your regulator in your mouth & no mask on???...Right??..If so, will they let you hold your nose while on SCUBA to get to your mask???....

while diving down to retrive your mask exhale through your nose slowly while decending then dawn you mask and clear

Do not pinch your nose. You need to master an important skill - no mask breathing. Pinching your nose does nothing to help you master somethinmg essential to your safety as a diver.

The most effective way to learn no mask breathing is to follow this plan.

Walter's right. You can even lick a lot of this just belly down in the bathtub if you want to face it privately.

Be sure to work the temperature of the tub water down as you grow comfortable since cold on the face will elevate anxiety but with practice it's all good.

Pete

Thank you all for your input.

Once under water I am able to remove my mask, leave it off for a few seconds while still breathing off of my Reg, then put it back on and clear. I do seem to get some water in my throat which can be swallowed. My main promlem seems to arise when trying to descend while not having a mask on.

Another question:

If you were to fill your mask with water while being on the surface, put on the mask and tip your head back. Do you get water that runs into the back of your throat even when you put positive pressure into your nose?

I remember watching a program on Navy Seal training. One of the guys was not physically able to control the "mechanism" that closes off the nose from the throat. I am wondering if this could be my problem?

I'd argue and say pinch your nose for the initial descent and first few seconds. Then your body will accept what its about to do and you can let go.
Do this a few times then you can move onto not pinching nose.

I remember watching a program on Navy Seal training. One of the guys was not physically able to control the "mechanism" that closes off the nose from the throat. I am wondering if this could be my problem?

Mouth/nose control is something all divers learn. Its not an immediate natural reaction. As you can remove the mask and breathe with no mask underwater this definately isnt your problem.
Its normal to have issues with these things to start with, you dont need to find incredibly rare (if they exist at all) reasons as to why you CANT do it, you just need to accept you can do it and develop the technique needed.

Walter:
Do not pinch your nose. You need to master an important skill - no mask breathing. Pinching your nose does nothing to help you master somethinmg essential to your safety as a diver.

The most effective way to learn no mask breathing is to follow this plan.

You are right, my bad....he needs to learn this skill...I was thinking of him holding his nose a time or 2 to get him used to having no mask on UW & breathing with regulator only.....I remember for my wife, it was hard the 1st time or 2 & eventually by letting her nose go & breathing with no mask, it was overcome....If I remember correctly(this was in '85), she practiced in between classes in our pool with a snorkle & no mask.....It was difficult @ 1st but a skill she got down.........Good luck & keep trying, you'll learn how............

wsu_beaver:
After the session I began to think about what had occurred. I am able to ditch, recover, and clear my mask while under water, but feel like water is running into the back of my throat. Today in my bath tub I did a little experiment. I filled my mask with water placed it on my face and sure enough water runs into the back of my throat. No matter how much positive pressure I put into my mask, I can not seem to keep the water from running into my throat through my nose.

Is this going to cause me any problems? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct or work on this issue? Will it pass with time and practice? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Your’s is a common problem that most often show up during mask clearing exercises. You need to work on independent control of your nose and mouth. You can do this at home if need be. Take a full breath and exhale a short sharp burst through your mouth, immediately follow it with one from your nose, one from your mouth, one from your nose and so on until you run out of air. Now repeat the exercise with your face in the water (even a tub will do). Don't stop just because you think your comfortable doing it, 95% confidence that you'll be able to do this without any issue, ever, requires 17 sessions with this skill. When you go submerge in the pool, sans mask, start with a short sharp burst out your nose then take a breath from your regulator, any time that you feel uncomfortable solve the problem with a short nose burst and the a slow inflation. You’ll be fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom