Post your rules of thumb for predicting visibility!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Precisely, "visibility depends on a number of factors, including time of year, swell, recent wind shifts, Poseidon's state of mind, etc."

Obviously a precociously new Monterey diver.

Tide has an effect on vis although it doesn't seem consistent. For instance at Gerstle Cove I find more often than not the vis is better on a low tide. Seen the same thing at Lobos too, although there are others with far more experience diving at Lobos than I.

In my mind 2 main things cause poor viz.

1. Agitation due to wave action: This is fairly predictable. Big waves = more agitation = more suspended material. During and immediately after the big waves sees the poorer viz. Shallower dives near shore most affected

2. Bloom: stuff growing in the water. Longer days = more growth. The layer with the bloom can move around and vary in thickness / depth. Best indicator is recent reports from other divers. When you dive pls post a report indicating site, depth and viz to aid other divers.

I want to go diving tommorrow and will head to carmel in hopes of avoiding the very poor vis recently reported for monterey shore dives. I will be looking anxiouslyfor any new reports from folks diving yesterday-today to aid my decision

Back
Top Bottom