Post processing help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buleetu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi guys

if any one has the time could they maybe fix up this photo i took in sharm in april, when i fix it up it doesnt look right at all

i think i could be doing it the wrong way perhaps, if someone could do what they normally do to there own photos maybe i will get an idea of what my ones should look like

DSCF4444.jpg

I wasn't able to improve it much. Applying a filter to remove the greens makes it all very monotone. By pushing the Hue (a lot) in a couple of the color channels I was able to get some color back into the fish. The second shot is a crop to eliminate some of the boring background.

But it's still not very good...

Steps I took:

Applied Kedaffie's Bring back the Reds Filter.
Adjusted brightness/contrast slightly
Pushed the Hues in the Yellow/Red/Green channels till it looked better. I didn't note the values I used. I also lowered the Saturation slightly.
Sharpened the cropped version slightly. The background is slightly out of focus and can't be fixed.

You could also try selecting the fish with the magic lasso and applying more color correction to it independent of the background to "pop" it more...

hi guys

if any one has the time could they maybe fix up this photo

Here's my fixed version:

Edited_Image.jpg

Using Paint Shop Pro XI
1. Adjust>Color Balance center cross hairs on white spot on fish in left image.
2. Grey World Color Balance (I had to add this back in - it is not a standard tool on PSP XI), shift temperature to get right balance - I believe around 6500.
3. I think I also used Enhance Photo>Smart Photo Fix (Move sharpness all the way to the left - I think I also tinkered with highlights and shadows. Primary modifications were steps one and 2)

hi guys thanks for the help

i dont think this photo is the best example for me to give u all to fix, thanks for trying though

would this one be any better, i think the fish is in focus better than the previous picture

i took lots of j peg and not as many raw on my last trip, i think that i will stick to raw in the future because it is a lot easier to mess around with them afterwards, theres not much to be done with the jpegs i took because i wasnt using manual white balance enough, i was using the sand most of the time to set it and i didnt set it often enough,

i have a lot more practicing to do so

maybe u could have a go at this one instead and see if its any better of a photo

thanks for the help guys

DSCF4446.jpg

Last edited:
Seems already too blue to bring out any red hues properly...

Back
Top Bottom