Post ORIF Surgery Concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is me. Surgery in 2018. >300 dives later and all is well.

PS. I no longer dive doubles and no more deco.

PPS I had ORIF on my right medial malleolus in 1984. Never stopped me then either.

View attachment 753440
I heard collar bones are a bad break. It is insane what they do to put us back together. Were they able to restore the area to be anatomically correct? Do you have any limitations?

I notice that my injured shoulder looks and move slightly different when compared to the other shoulder. I think the movement may resolve with continued PT.

I heard collar bones are a bad break. It is insane what they do to put us back together. Were they able to restore the area to be anatomically correct? Do you have any limitations?

I notice that my injured shoulder looks and move slightly different when compared to the other shoulder. I think the movement may resolve with continued PT.
Zero issues. Slightly limited mobility but none that affect my (single tank) diving. It took about six months to realize maximum movement with a lot of work in the gym. And…the metal does not trigger metal detectors at the airport!

I’ve endured two ankle ORIF surgeries so I can speak of my personal experience but I’m not a doctor so don’t believe anything I’m saying on here….

Motorcycle racing crash : Left Ankle / Talus took me 8mo tha to get back to working strength and a level of fitness that would be ok to dive.
Although 8yrs later I’m still weak on my LHside because of the sensitivity and level of pain which is now sadly standard background noise for me.

Skydiving impact broke my RH Tib and Fib and this too was screwed and plated but this time I was only out of the sky for 3.5weeks before I was cleared to skydive again and then the following week cleared to dive too.

I’ve endured two ankle ORIF surgeries so I can speak of my personal experience but I’m not a doctor so don’t believe anything I’m saying on here….

Motorcycle racing crash : Left Ankle / Talus took me 8mo tha to get back to working strength and a level of fitness that would be ok to dive.
Although 8yrs later I’m still weak on my LHside because of the sensitivity and level of pain which is now sadly standard background noise for me.

Skydiving impact broke my RH Tib and Fib and this too was screwed and plated but this time I was only out of the sky for 3.5weeks before I was cleared to skydive again and then the following week cleared to dive too.
Ouch! I heard that ongoing pain is rough though. My husband races motorcycles and does some track days too. I can’t tell you how many times they’ve had to close the track for injuries….it is a dangerous sport!

ORIF of radial head fracture with plate and screws, not nearly as many as you have, but was diving in my splint 12 weeks after. 100 dives+ since and no issues. DAN consult and comparing progression of ossification are great suggestions, but I would also add meeting with your physio to ensure you've got the motion, strength, and motor control required for the tasks associated with diving - donning/doffing a wetsuit/BCD, lifting gear/tanks, climbing ladders, holding onto and pulling yourself up a rope, etc. You don't want to be so dependent on your opposite upper extremity that you open yourself up to an unexpected injury there. Good luck!

I'm a PT and while this isn't personal advice, I wouldn't see any medical reason you couldn't dive after three months of a noncomplicated ORIF. Physically it depends on how your shoulder is doing with regards to strength and range of motion. You have to make sure your gear is comfortable and you're able to pull any dump valves, reach your knife, DSMB, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom