post lobectomy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

0Bouyancy

Registered
Reaction score
My 15 year old grandson has wanted to become a scuba diver for a few years. Last December he had the upper half of his left lung removed in order to resect a non-cancerous mass. His surgeon has released him for all activity, including scuba diving. Any suggestions on whether he should try scuba with the partial removal of his left lung? I realize that any responses are general guidelines and will not be considered medical opinions.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Diving Medicine

My 15 year old grandson has wanted to become a scuba diver for a few years. Last December he had the upper half of his left lung removed in order to resect a non-cancerous mass. His surgeon has released him for all activity, including scuba diving. Any suggestions on whether he should try scuba with the partial removal of his left lung? I realize that any responses are general guidelines and will not be considered medical opinions.

If the surgeon specifically said he's ok to SCUBA dive, then in all likelihood he'll be fine, at least from a surgical perspective. What type of mass was it, and does he have any other medical issues for which he is under a physician's care?

The mass was an inflamatory process. It was described as a rare tumor that mimicks cancer. I believe it was called a "myofibroblastic tumor" (pardon the layman's spelling).

My Grandson has no other health issues and is scheduled to be released from follow-up care next month.

Thanks for your input.

Please contact the Divers Alert Network- DAN.
You can find them online, or just call their non-emergency number. 1-800-446-2671

DAN has been helping divers for decades.

I tend to not have 100% faith in authority, and would check it for my kids. DAN is an excellent resource for a second opinion.

That type of lesion (inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor; usually benign and localized) is uncommon in general (< 1%) but when found, it is usually in the young (upwards of 80% in that population). Prognosis after complete resection is typically good, often excellent.

Nothing posted so far gives me reason to question the green-light for scuba. So I trust he's good to go. Does his exercise tolerance seem appropriate for diving? Does he have a feel for what is "normal" during and after exercise?

As an aside, pulmonary rehab sounds automatic but it isn't. AFAIK, there's yet no evidence-based standard for this in connection with lung resection like this; insurance approval is exceptional. Quite some years ago, there were several papers about exercise capacity after lobectomy which basically found that lung function improved noticably at 6 months as compared to at 3 mo. Further, leg discomfort was a more common complaint than shortness of breath; presumably from slow acid clearance due to loss of area for gas exchange. Serious complications (e.g. leaks, adhesions, torsion, nerve injury) usually show soon post-op and decline post-discharge; 6 months seems to be a common boundary in studies I've seen. But healing is an individual, evolving process. New exercises or levels of exercise could reveal new pains or sensations which may or may not resolve with time or repetition. Don't hesitate to ask his doctor for an opinion/evaluation if this happens. Best of luck.

Thank you Cutlas, for your very helpful post.

My Grandson, as you said, had complications the first two months. His phrenetic (spelling ?) nerve was paralyzed and he had a leak. Both resolved. His tolerance for exercise has greatly improved and he is trying out for the varsity swim team next month.

His older sister just got her OW certification and he hopes to do the same next Summer.

Thank you Cutlas, for your very helpful post.

My Grandson, as you said, had complications the first two months. His phrenetic (spelling ?) nerve was paralyzed and he had a leak. Both resolved. His tolerance for exercise has greatly improved and he is trying out for the varsity swim team next month.

His older sister just got her OW certification and he hopes to do the same next Summer.

0Buoyancy,
I think that your grandson needs to be seen by a board-certified diving medical examiner before he starts diving. His case sounds too complex to be resolved in an internet forum. If you PM me your location I'll see if I can locate someone for him.
Best,
DDM

Thank you for the recommendation. I agree that he needs a specialized evaluation. I was concerned with the release for SCUBA activity by his surgeon. We are in the Dallas area. A referral to a Board Certified Dive Medicine Physician would be most helpful.

Not sure how to PM. My email is DNR@Myway.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom