post diving cramps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have a question for the doctors in the house. After the last few dives of Fall 2012 I got cramps in the fingers of my left hand and sometimes my right hand, if I tried to hold anything like a cell phone for example. I wrote it off to the water temp of low 50’sF and still using my sailing gloves instead of wet suit gloves. None of the dives were deco and none came close to the NDL. A SS was done after each dive with an hour SI between. No other “symptoms” were noted. I’m normally full of aches and pains anyway but nothing beyond the norm. I’m a 59 year old male in reasonably good shape w/ BP on the high end of normal. I take an aspirin daily. This year starts my 43th year of diving.
This past Sunday 5-19-13 was my 1st dive of 2013; it was in 52F water with 5mm wet suit gloves a 7mm FJ wet suit and 2mm hooded vest. We did a 40 min dive to a max depth of 25FSW. On the way home when I used my cell phone all 4 fingers of my left hand cramped, again cold water.
Well, Monday AM I use my cell phone and the middle finger (yes THAT middle finger) on my left hand cramped. I’m not so sure it’s the cold anymore. I didn’t do much with my left hand Sunday but not having dived in 5 months could it be just plain muscle fatigue, maybe from the restriction of the wet suit gloves? The hamstrings of both legs started to cramp towards the end of the dive, a switch to the frog kick solved that, which was in all probability muscle fatigue. I am prone to cramping during and after activities; for example torso cramps after paddling my yak all day. What say the experts about the finger(s)?

Hey After Dark,

Given that the torso and the hands and hamstring muscles bilaterally are involved, one rather suspects more than a simple localized process may be at work. You may want be evaluated for the presence of a more systemic problem such as an under active thyroid, electrolyte/mineral deficiency (e.g., sodium, potassium), vitamin deficiency (e.g., certain B-complex vits, vit D), and the effects of certain medications (e.g., some drugs used to lower cholesterol, diuretics). BTW, dehydration is known to exacerbate cramping.

In the meantime, do all of the usual things for cramp prevention, such as stretching & getting warmed up before activity, staying warm, drinking lots of water, not getting overheated, etc.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Thank you DocVikingo food for thought here. The under active thyroid I've suspected for a while for other reasons; knowning it could tie in with cramps starts to make sense. The other things I think are have covered with 12 hr time release vitamin mineral caps 2x's per day. Electrolyte/mineral drinks during and after workouts. Part of my hiBP is due to fluid rentention which I control with a low-carb diet. The day before diving I load up on water and electrolyte/mineral drinks. Two Aleve for joint pain and 1 asprin for blood thinning per day no other meds. Perhaps I'll try loading up on fluids 2 days before for the next dive, this weekend I hope! Thanks again AD

Last edited:
AfterDark, it sounds like you are really on top of nutrtional and preventive health but it might be worth checking those supplements for Vit D content as DocVikingo mentioned. I know it seems like medical recommendations change almost daily and Vit D is something of the "vitamin du jour" and the current cure for all ills but I do think there is some benefit for select individuals and may be worth checking your next physical if not already done.

Not really related but since you mentioned post workout drinks, consider chocolate milk. You can spend a lot of money on marketed shakes and formulas but chocolate milk has all the right proteins and carbohydrates in the correct ratio at a much more economical cost. And it's delicious!

Sounds like a plan.

Might wish to check the combined total mgs of KCl across your vit/min drinks & supplement caps as even the best of these often contain only minuscule amounts. You also get a healthy dose of it from a proper diet (Foods With Potassium Chloride | LIVESTRONG.COM) and that of course has to be factored in to meeting any recommended MDR. The FDA MDR of KCl for an adult eating ~2000 kcal/day is 4000mg, and 5000mg wouldn't be unreasonable in an otherwise healthy individual.

Cheers,

DocV

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Does this just happen after diving?

Does this just happen after diving?

The hand cramps yes only after diving, but there are other times when other parts of my body will cramp after extended exercise. Such as I mentioned after paddling the yak around all day. The hamstring cramps were due IMO to lack of doing that motion. That finning motion is hard to duplicate in a gym. As soon as I switched over to a frog kick the leg cramps stopped. Its the post diving cramps that give me pause to think someting might be wrong.

V8 juice works for me. Lots of Potassium. Without it I cramp like crazy. Sports drinks work but have a lot of sugar and not as much potassium.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom