Post Cert Gear Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cobra8472

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
'Lo again. Seems I've got alot of questions :wink:

Heading to Bonaire this summer, and we both want our own gear before we go. We're both certified, with about 10 dives under our belts. We have only dived rental gear (regular, jacket style BCD, Old SP regs, and so forth) so we are eager to use some highquality stuff. While doing a checkup dive last year I did get to use a fresh MK17/X650 and loved it - so I'd really like to have one of my own.

My father hasn't even started assembling his wish list, but mine looks something like this;

ScubaPro MK17/X650 (w/ first stage, obv.) Regulator
ScubaPro R390 Octopus
Oceanic SWIV Pressure Gauge (BAR)
Atomic Aquatic Split Fins
Suunto D6 wrist Computer
A small pony bottle (suggestions?)

Any comments? Should I replace something with something else? Any errors with this setup? Purchasing gear is quite new so it's a little scary aswell.

For the rest of the gear, I'm looking at DSS BP&W setup. I've heard only good things, and the simple, streamlined feature of these setups is what draws me to them. How is comfort? Is it suitable for novice divers?

Another problem I have, is how big do I need my wing to be? As in terms of lbs of lift? I'll mostly be doing warm water diving shallower than 60', but I will be diving in Sweden aswell, wich is considerably colder. In the DSS configuration tool, are integrated weights included? I have a very thin waist (Growing tall enhances that :() so weight belts are very cumbersome.

As for the wetsuit, I can't seem to remember what we dove in Malta. The water was around 26C, and a quite thin shorty couldn't keep me warm (the whole tall and thin thing :wink:) so I got out with an instructor and put on a two piece, I don't know, 3mm maybe? 5? It's hard to remember, quite hard to get into though. Kept me warm. Wondering if I should get a 5mm, or 3mm, or maybe even 7mm for Bonaire? Thicker for swedish diving? (summer)

Sorry for all the questions. It's still quite new and I don't want to make the wrong purchases. The rest of the vital equipment we need will most likely be rented or bought (knives, etc)

Also; I already know itä's better to try before you buy, but with the small diveshops around this area that ain't too easy.

Thanks!

Cobra8472:
ScubaPro MK17/X650 (w/ first stage, obv.) Regulator

MK17 is the first stage....X650 is the second stage model

You could really ask these things all day and in the end you have a nice list of top of the line or close to top of the line stuff so you really can't go wrong. Good idea in my own opinion for considering the bp/w setup though. When determining lift capacity on the wings you would want to consider the size of the tanks you are planning on diving with....but in general a 35 or 40 pound lift will handle any of your single tank diving....

good choice on getting your own gear though....makes diving that much more enjoyable....and if a dive gets cancelled you don't lose any money.....

I just got mk17 first stages to replace my mk25 and in combo with the S600 second stage they make a great reg setup. (MK17/S600)

I have an octo and have dove with it once as an octo (R190) I usually dive with my Air 2 instead to keep things a bit easier.

Oceanic makes good products but I have never personally used any of them although I am looking into one of their gauge consols for a inexpensive backup. I currently dive solely a Suunto Cobra and love it but it has made me lazy with loggin dives.

I too am looking into a bp/w setup but I am going into doubles soon so I will need a totally different setup than you so I really cant give out much advice on them yet. right now I have a nighthawk and its great but very limited for use beyond recreational diving. the nighthawk it weight integrated. if you go bp/w than look into a weight integrated harness seperate from your bp harness, you wont regret it.

I dive twin jet split fins and love them but I need to get spring straps. split fins will serve you well but the DIR and tech guys dont seem to favor them.

I use a wetsuit and dive cold water with it comfortably but a drysuit is coming very soon. you said you are tall and skinny so a normal wetsuit in any thickness should serve you well but if you are odd shaped at all look into Hendersons Hyperstretch suits. I have there 2 piece 7mm and stay comfortable in 39 (F) degree water for 45 min or so. since you are younger though you may not want to get an expensive suit til you have stopped growing.

Buying gear is a big deal so dont take it lightly. I have bought gear twice almost and have different setups for different conditions now since I have so much crap. I have designated a roon in my house to diving. this is addictive and expensive so be prepared. But above all have fun and be safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom