Possum Kingdom lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Martin Myers

Reaction score
Did a couple of dives at Possum Kingdom on saturday. I found the lake to be very barren. I saw no fish the entire time i was down there and no plant life. the only thing i saw was a little crab. Have any of you out there experienced anything different?

I must have been sleeping during that part of marine biology... I had NO idea that there are freshwater crabs :)

When Mike and I dove there in March, we saw the occasional fish (I think mostly cat, but I was a bit busy keeping the wet stuff from entering the breath tube), but not a LOT, by any means.

What was your average depth? (I think we tended to seem them shallower, rather than deeper)

jeff

Haven't seen any myself lately, but there are hundreds (or maybe thousands) of freshwater crab species. Last freshwater crab I personally saw was at Petco: Hermit Crabs.

We did not go to PK this weekend because of all the rain. Heard that visability would be bad, so we went to Athens sat and CSSP sunday.
Ranz

I was out at PK this past weekend. The visibility was even worse than when I did my OW (I think it was 8 ft that time). I did hear that visibility can be quite good at times (for a lake).

Where did you do your diving? I was at Scuba Point and I saw lots of fish. Some were even biting me!!

astrl

Was at Scuba Point two weekend ago. A few fish were around, but it was a cold dive below 30 ft.

I have hermit crabs in my salt water tank. I have never seen or heard of fresh water crabs in the waters in Texas.

according to the dive instructor i was with. PK has a slight salt content just enough apparently for the crabs to survive. The university of texas was doing some study on it along with that blight of fish that happened last year.

I used to have two small crabs in my freshwater tank. I thought PK tasted a little salty, but I thought I was just imagining things...

astrl

TwoBit might have to correct my timeline a bit (he's the fisherman of our bunch), but last summer or summer before, PK was hit by a major algae outbreak of the bad kind that resulted in killing off much of the fish. Fortunately, the Texas Parks and Wildlife folks were able to get it undercontrol and are now restocking the lake with juveniles of the indigenous species.

So in a few years, we should see more fish.

Hey, TwoBit!!! It's almost time for our annual "let's see if the boat still floats" outting at PK....shall we plan?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom