Possible to work.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mamerrin

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Greetings,

I read a post recently that concerned me. It was about the lack of work in Honduras for Dive Instructors.

I am planning on obtaining my MSDT with UDC and wanted to try and work in Utila or Roatan, but I am also open to Belize, Costa Rica, or other locations in Central America. I am concerned I will not be able to find work.

I am a 27 year old female from Chicago, IL. My dream is to be able to support myself full time outside of the US.

My father was born and raised in Honduras and I wanted to apply for residency in Honduras. I am also very interested in teaching positions and working with non-profit organizations since I have a degree in Education and about 8 years experience working with non-profits as a community organizer.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom? or am I just a dreamer????:confused:

You will do well for yourself to get residency in Honduras, seems odd you would not have it but that is beside the point, should be easier for someone with Honduran family. Then!!!!! push all you can that your a Honduran /Roatan native and should do well.

There are almost always a few jobs available because turnover is high. Few if any pay a decent wage. Your pay will be dependant upon the number of students you teach. If you speak English and Spanish you'll have some advantage. Other languages are a huge plus. Dual citizenship will also be an asset. If the economy and dive travel picks back up, you'll probably do okay. Right now, unless you find a very busy shop you'll have a hard time actually making a living. Keep your eyes open for dive operations manager positions. They almost always include housing making things much easier. Many instructors actually work part time in restaurants to try and break even. It can be tough but it's very rewarding.

Tropical Island Divers on the east end is losing their dive master soon and are looking for a replacement. there is also talk of a dive shop opening up in Camp Bay, which is still undeveloped and is accessible to many of the best sites of the neighboring islands. scheduled to open early next year.

...there is also talk of a dive shop opening up in Camp Bay, which is still undeveloped and is accessible to many of the best sites of the neighboring islands. scheduled to open early next year.

Now that is something I would like to hear about!

jsl:)

Perhaps the OP should look for a regular teaching job and do some dive instruction on the side.

Perhaps the OP should look for a regular teaching job and do some dive instruction on the side.

Doesn't sound like a great idea with all the problems in the past year of professors on strike, protesting and not working, last I heard they had missed almost 50 days this school year in the honduran school system including three or four recent weeks, BUT, at least it would leave time for diving as long as the protests did not get in the way.
These protests are mainly on the mainland and those hurt the most are the students, There is no issue for visitors to be concerned about and as happens through most things such as this, the Bay Islands remain open for diving

Tropical Island Divers on the east end is losing their dive master soon and are looking for a replacement. there is also talk of a dive shop opening up in Camp Bay, which is still undeveloped and is accessible to many of the best sites of the neighboring islands. scheduled to open early next year.

I hope your right but these rumors have been on the radar for at least 3 years and nothing has happened yet. Camp Bay is pretty darn remote, the road isn't the greatest and there are few places to stay and eat. Not exactly a recipe for a successful dive operation.

NCCUCK is correct concerning languages, they are more important than the number of specialties you can teach.

I taught on Utila and Roatan, if I were you, consider spending your IDC money on Roatan, there are more opportunities for employment...

You may not like it, but if you are a hottie in a wetsuit, that increases your employment opportunities as well, the diving industry can be an ugly business in tropical climates.

One of my colleagues was the dive shop manager of Pura Vida on Roatan, they were paid $700.00pm and got a discount on meals at the restaurant... nothing else.

You may want to research the raining season down there and stay away accordingly.

Going back to the OP's comments. I believe (but am not certain) that if you can qualify for residency (and perhaps even dual citizenship) through your Honduran parent, then you may be able to get the documentation you need from your Honduran immigration attorney that would enable you to legally work. If you haven't done so, I suggest you join the Yahoo group Living-in-Roatan (Living-In-Roatan : Living In Roatan) and pose your question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom