Possible to check hose Leakage without a tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hellhole

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys...

I do not have access to a tank of compress air. And I am wondering if it possible to check if one of my my flex hose is leaking or not without connecting the while set up.

Maybe if you put your thumb on one end and blow on the other end really hard?

I would not think you can test it without pressure unless there is an actual hole in it. I had a buddy and his hose would leak (bubble) at the beginning of the dive when we dropped. But would not leak (bubble) after a few minutes when the pressure dropped. So without over 3000 psi or so there would be no leak.

Are you checking the hose or a crimp on the fitting? Either way you will need pressure as far as I know.

You'll need to test it under pressure. Unless you can see an obvious, gross defect in the hose, pressure testing is the only way to really check it.

Unless, like Spg01 says, you have REALLY strong lungs and can blow really, REALLY hard :D.

Best wishes.

sort of, but not the way you think.

Do a vacuum test on the reg. Won't tell you where it is leaking, only if it is leaking. Your LDS should put it on the test bench and test it for free btw...

sort of, but not the way you think.

Do a vacuum test on the reg. Won't tell you where it is leaking, only if it is leaking. Your LDS should put it on the test bench and test it for free btw...

A vacuum test may not detect pressure leaks and a pressure test may not detect vacuum leaks. Different sealing surfaces may be involved in each.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom