possible switch to tech rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well everyone... after reading and reading and reading here is what i believe would be best for me. if you believe something should be changed out, just point it and please tell me why. everyone has helped a lot and i greatly appreciate it!!!

Dive Rite stainless steel Backplate
OxyCheq Mach V Signature Wing
2- Stainless Steel Cam Latch Tank Strap
Dive Rite Deluxe Harness
Dive Rite 2 Inch Crotch Strap W/Scooter Ring
2-Scuba Sex Bolts
OxyCheq Mini Single Tank Adapter
2- XS Scuba Weight Pocket

One piece of continuous webbing is a hell of a lot cheaper to replace and easier to modify than the DR deluxe harness.

well everyone... after reading and reading and reading here is what i believe would be best for me. if you believe something should be changed out, just point it and please tell me why. everyone has helped a lot and i greatly appreciate it!!!

Dive Rite Deluxe Harness
2-Scuba Sex Bolts

I dive with the same setup, except my bp is OMS not Dive Rite; got a better deal on OMS at the time. You will be very happy with this setup for sure. Also don't forget to get a pair of Dive Rite shoulder harness pads, they are tubes of neoprene.

I dive with the same setup, except my bp is OMS not Dive Rite; got a better deal on OMS at the time. You will be very happy with this setup for sure. Also don't forget to get a pair of Dive Rite shoulder harness pads, they are tubes of neoprene.

very good idea about the shoulder pads!!!

Dive Rite Deluxe Harness
2-Scuba Sex Bolts

What type of tanks are you diving (size and material)? If you have larger steel tanks, you may not *need* the stainless steel weight of the BP. This could save you money. Or, you may need a bigger wing to compensate for the ss plate and ss tank.

I admit I did not look up the specs of your wing, but do the math of the wing lift versus the physical bouyancy weight of a full tank with the gear. Since you are not diving a drysuit, you may not need the weight of the plate. In my 5mm, with a steel 80 and steel backplate, I was very overweighted. In a drysuit, I added four lbs to compensate for the loft of the drysuit and 400 mg underwear.

My DR Rec Wing had sufficient lift for my rig with double AL 80s. But, I moved to double Steel 100s and I feel as if I am sitting really low in the water. So, time to upgrade. Kerching!

copy that!!!

True, but it is easier to get out of the harness when it has a quick release. How often do you replace your continuous webbing? I don't know of too many recreational divers that have had to replace the webbing because it plain worn out.

Continuous webbing has many benefits over the deluxe harness, no debate. But, for the typical recreational diver, the deluxe works just as well.

Also, he is going to take rescue. Unless he keeps his BCD handy, getting him out of the continuous webbing during the skill excercises will be a task for his fellow classmates.

Unless of course the OP's fellow rescue classmates make the same threat I made to the other continuous webbing divers in my Rescue course. If it is an emergency, my knife comes out and I cut you out of your harness!

Funny, they all wore BCDs that day.

Also, he is going to take rescue. Unless he keeps his BCD handy, getting him out of the continuous webbing during the skill excercises will be a task for his fellow classmates.

Rescue does require you to get the diver out of their gear. IMHO, getting a diver out of their gear and onto shore is far easier and safer than raising a diver from depth to the surface...

Personally, given what I have seen, I'd be happy with an insta-buddy who would simply have the presence of mind to drop my weight belt and rocket my unconscious a$$ to the surface rather than leave me at depth to drown while they go off to find the DM for help. If they can safely raise me to the surface at a slow rate, all the better.

What type of tanks are you diving (size and material)? If you have larger steel tanks, you may not *need* the stainless steel weight of the BP. This could save you money. Or, you may need a bigger wing to compensate for the ss plate and ss tank.

I admit I did not look up the specs of your wing, but do the math of the wing lift versus the physical bouyancy weight of a full tank with the gear. Since you are not diving a drysuit, you may not need the weight of the plate. In my 5mm, with a steel 80 and steel backplate, I was very overweighted. In a drysuit, I added four lbs to compensate for the loft of the drysuit and 400 mg underwear.

My DR Rec Wing had sufficient lift for my rig with double AL 80s. But, I moved to double Steel 100s and I feel as if I am sitting really low in the water. So, time to upgrade. Kerching!

i usually dive alum 80s or steel. usually whatever the dive shop has there. the wing that i was looking at has two options for lift...30 or 40lbs of lift.
i also went back to my dive shop and spoke to them and the other brand they carried was OMS and dive rite. they explained to me that OMS makes great gear but there customer service blows. dive rite he said was good to go. they also mentioned to me that i do purchase anything threw them they would give me a discount on anything and i could do lay-a-way too. pretty nice ppl
now this puts me in kinda of a dilema... do i continue with the purchase about or get the halcyon eclipse?!? damm these ppl lol

well at least i am about to hit the water with the girlfriend. hopefully likes my seaquest balance!!!

i usually dive alum 80s or steel. usually whatever the dive shop has there. the wing that i was looking at has two options for lift...30 or 40lbs of lift.
i also went back to my dive shop and spoke to them and the other brand they carried was OMS and dive rite. they explained to me that OMS makes great gear but there customer service blows. dive rite he said was good to go. they also mentioned to me that i do purchase anything threw them they would give me a discount on anything and i could do lay-a-way too. pretty nice ppl
now this puts me in kinda of a dilema... do i continue with the purchase about or get the halcyon eclipse?!? damm these ppl lol

well at least i am about to hit the water with the girlfriend. hopefully likes my seaquest balance!!!

If it were me, I'd probably buy through the shop just to better develop a good relationship, especially if they can get close to the internet pricing or matching the pricing of the kit already selected. As long as you're similarly comfortable in the halcyon and the other kit, keeping a good relationship with the shop is beneficial for both of you.

Back
Top Bottom