Possible Sea Urchin Disease in Southern California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lock_washer

Contributor
Reaction score
Just wanted to bring this to the attention of Southern California divers...

I noticed this while diving this past Sunday at Corona Del Mar Beach ("Little Corona")...I saw countless numbers of sea urchin exo-skeletons laying all over the reef. They weren't broken up, but they seem to be cleaned of all their spines. I am wondering if a disease has hit the sea urchins here. If that is the case, maybe that will help in the kelp forest coming back locally off our beaches.

Lock Washer

Hmmmm.

It could also be due to starvation. We kill the fish that eat the urchins. The urchins thrive and eat all the kelp. The urchins starve.

Why not contact Reef Check California?

Posted via Mobile Device

Warm water events often cause mass die-offs of sea urchins and starfish. Waters have been warm this season so that could be the cause. About three years ago we had a mass die-off here in the waters of Catalina and there were urchin tests all over the bottom.

Warm temperatures may cause death directly or increase the severity of certain diseases.

Good, maybe the kelp will have a fighting chance to re-grow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom