Possible future dry suit purchase, What things to look for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,
I cannot give 'comparison' on dry suits since I have never used one and I am new to diving, but I am also looking to purchase (allergic to neoprene). I agree that it is a HUGE expense and this should be done with research. I am looking at DUI's line, particularly the TLS-350 (no neoprene). Ok, I am rambling so here is the purpose to my post--
DUI is having one of thier "DOG RALLY and DEMO DAYS" at Meremet Springs, IL. I noticed that you are from KY (I am in TN) and thought if it is not that far, you can go there and try on the different suits for fit and feel. I am planning on doing that as well. Here is the website for the calendar of events:
http://www.dui-online.com/dog_events_06.html
There is a slight cost for participating, but to me, the travel time and the cost is worth is to see how well the suit fits and to be able to try one before the big purchase.
Hope this helps and maybe I will see you there---

wldflwrs03:
Hello,
I cannot give 'comparison' on dry suits since I have never used one and I am new to diving, but I am also looking to purchase (allergic to neoprene). I agree that it is a HUGE expense and this should be done with research. I am looking at DUI's line, particularly the TLS-350 (no neoprene). Ok, I am rambling so here is the purpose to my post--
DUI is having one of thier "DOG RALLY and DEMO DAYS" at Meremet Springs, IL. I noticed that you are from KY (I am in TN) and thought if it is not that far, you can go there and try on the different suits for fit and feel. I am planning on doing that as well. Here is the website for the calendar of events:
http://www.dui-online.com/dog_events_06.html
There is a slight cost for participating, but to me, the travel time and the cost is worth is to see how well the suit fits and to be able to try one before the big purchase.
Hope this helps and maybe I will see you there---

Yes, I've planned on attending the DUI days at Mermet with some people I dive with from IN. Mermet is about 2 1/2hrs away from me. I want to see what they have available. I spoke to my instructor about a dry suit course & he said that I would have to have a suit first. My LDS doesn't carry or stock dry suits, so I'm kind of on my own to find one. I'm considering the shell style suit because I really don't care for the binding & bulkiness of a thick wet suit. 99% of my diving is in fresh water quarries. The bottom temperature is at about 45 degrees year round, below 50' so I need warmth. I have no aspirations of ice diving (though I wouldn't knock it if properly trained), but I want to extend my season from late May- Oct. to March or so- Nov. Thank you all for your opinions of what to look for. It gives me a good starting pont. Now the hard part, decisions, decisions...........

Back
Top Bottom