Possible ear injury during checkout dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tfitz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I completedmy last two check out dives yesterday in order to be certified. On the descent of the firt dive I had difficulty equalizing and upon reaching th ocean flor (~15 feet) felt unable to balance (falling over) but otherwise felt fine. I thought it was just the ocean current. We had to resurface for an unrelated reason and once I got to the surface I felt fine and completed my two dives for the day.

Unfortunately, I had ear pain afterwards in my left ear that went away after a few hours and have fluid coming out off an on since yesterday. I think it's kind of a lot of fluid to be blocked water coming out. Is that a sign of ear injury?

Thanks for any advice!

I would be very concerned for damage to my ears if this happened to me during and/or after diving.

I'd be at an urgent care clinic, or calling DAN for a referral to an ENT to get my ear looked at.

Unfortunately, I had ear pain afterwards in my left ear that went away after a few hours and have fluid coming out off an on since yesterday. I think it's kind of a lot of fluid to be blocked water coming out. Is that a sign of ear injury?

The "balance" problem underwater is a classic sign of a punctured eardrum.

The fluid is almost certainly not water, since your outer ear just doesn't hold that much.

Someone definitely needs to look at your ear.

flots.

Thanks all! I went ahead and visited my doctor and in fact have a perforated eardrum. I was confused because I didn't have any pain while diving after being dizzy but it looks like there isn't always pain. Luckily, my doctor thinks it will heal in time for my vacation (in 3 weeks yikes) and DAN was super helpful with suggestions for not doing that again. Really appreciate that DAN gives automatic insurance for OW certification and will be buying DAN insurance now that I am certified.

tfitz, sorry this happened to you! But during your enforced surface interval, you might enjoy watching THIS video on the diver's ear, and reading THIS article from DAN on the same subject. In addition, THIS piece from the freediving community has some good descriptions of equalizing techniques.

You've learned something important, which is that you can't wait for discomfort to tell you you have to equalize.

I don't think it's understood nor being taught how much pressure change in the first 15ft. Gotta be gentle in that range. Being a long time sinus sufferer I have sometimes taken very long going up and down a bit before I know I am cleared and then descend. I have seen many get this injurey in 10-12 ft pools.

Maybe I should post more CT scans showing the dangers of barotrauma to sinus/eye/ear/brain.

Thanks guys for the information. I think one thing I did not understand is that when you feel pain it is not only bad, but you are now at a point that clearing is actually more difficult, and you definitely need to ascend a at that point. I thought that if you can clear at that point and going forward you are fine. The DAN link really lays it out clearly.

Back
Top Bottom