Possible DCS/Bends? Needed followup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gj62

Contributor
Reaction score
I posted this as a follow-up in another thread, but it has been on my mind so I thought I'd post again and get some direct responses...

I was talking to a woman recently that had been diving with a computer (UWATEC) and said she experienced a mild "achiness" similar to what you would have with the flu a few hours after a 2 dive day. One dive was fairly deep (110'), the other 75'. The computer never went into deco (which I know isn't a sure thing), nor does she remember any type of ascent speed warnings from the computer.

She was told that given her profile (never within 5 minutes of a deco on the computer) and the fact that she did a 5 min stop at 20fsw, it was likely something other than the bends. I'm not so sure. However, it has been about 6 weeks since the event.

Is there any way for her to know what is was?

Do the bends leave any type of trace?

She indicated that the pain came on about 1 hour after the dive, and was gone by that evening. She continued to dive the next day (3 dives, first over 100') and never saw a recurrence of the symptoms.

If this could have been a mild case of DCS (at least it does not sound more than mild...) should she take any special precautions in the future?

Is there any data to point to a difference in susceptibility based on gender?

Thanks...

Hello gj:

Residuals

Pain-only DCS (the bends) does not leave any telltale sign. Researchers have looked for some biochemical marker over the past three decades but have so far been unsuccessful. This is not to say that no “blood test” is possible, but that one does not exist currently.

Neurological DCS is, of course, a different matter. Certainly it is possible to have residual problems following the dive – sometimes for the remainder of your life.

Gender Differences

To my knowledge, a gender difference is debated for DCS but not truly demonstrated.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Dr Deco:
Hello gj:

Residuals

Pain-only DCS (the bends) does not leave any telltale sign. Researchers have looked for some biochemical marker over the past three decades but have so far been unsuccessful. This is not to say that no “blood test” is possible, but that one does not exist currently.

Does this leave the diver more susceptible to this type of DCS in future dives?

Hello gj:

No, the “hit” probably does not leave you more susceptible. However, the possibility exists that this incident indicates that you are a more susceptible diver with respect to decompression sickness. This is true if nothing really out of the ordinary precipitated the DCS incident. Certainly if one was way over the table limit and/or performed heavy work, this could change the picture.

Back
Top Bottom