Possibility of upgrading LED torch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Derelict

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an Oceanic Arc 250 torch. It has a fantastic build quality and the switch is one of the best I've seen. But it's dim. So dull that it's not even worth using.

I was wondering if anybody had some advice or could point me in the right direction on how I could upgrade it to be brighter.

It looks like that takes 4 x AAA batteries? That's not much capacity, AAA are kind of pathetic. Upgrading the light output would then be compromised by the poor batteries. Coupled with the issues of upgrading the LED and the driver it would be more expedient to simply upgraded the light most likely. It's not as simple as popping in a new 'bulb'. LED + driver + batteries are a package that need to work together.

Something like this maybe: lithium ion 18650 (DGX 600) or 26650 [XTAR D26 Whale]. Cost less, work better.

If you want to do it for a learning experience, and none cost effective project that would be another issue.

This is thread on what I did to a Darrell Allen Light a while back.

Darrell Allen Light Rebuild Mod I

It took two modifications to get what I wanted. I estimate the Mod 2 beam to be around 2 degrees, which worked out good as we were working the bottom of a silty lake and it seemed to cut through the less severe siltups well. You don't want to shine it in anyone's eyes however.

Good Luck

Bob

This is thread on what I did to a Darrell Allen Light a while back.

Darrell Allen Light Rebuild Mod I

It took two modifications to get what I wanted. I estimate the Mod 2 beam to be around 2 degrees, which worked out good as we were working the bottom of a silty lake and it seemed to cut through the less severe siltups well. You don't want to shine it in anyone's eyes however.

Good Luck

Bob

So you took the insides of a non diving torch and re-purposed them? Not a bad idea.

I'm a bit annoyed because I had another torch that had a switching issue but I turfed it.

Yeah, the reflector was not so hot, and the led that fit the lamp holder projected forward and made the reflector ineffective. I started looking for a good reflector and ran across the spotlight which fit, as its reflector was the same size, and the led mount was made to reflect properly.

Bob
--------------------
Sometimes skill is a matter of luck and perserverance.

@Bob

depends what you want from that light but on DX have very nice reflector for SST90 like
SST-90 Smooth Aluminum Reflector (7.3CM-Diameter)

put inside Lipos to made lamp neutral buoyant

for stronger led could be made assigned heat sink made from aluminum and cooper for lightweight ......

an much much more options ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

@Derelict

start with led upgrade like Cree XHP 50 or Cree XP G2 or Cree XP L ,.........depends on space you have

Online shopping store offers high quality Drop-in Modules at reasonable prices - DX

Doesn't help that I lent the torch to a friend and forgot to get it back off her, so I can't actually attempt to disassemble it atm to see how that would go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom