Poseidon Releases Solid State Sensors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyroscience sensor: PyroScience GmbH

It's not as simple as converting a digital signal to analog. The Pyroscience sensor is outputting O2% vs current sensors just output a voltage.
well technically it is since the D2A converter would just read "if sensors says 100%, output 65mV" but that largely defeats the purpose of going to a digital sensor since that board should really be in the computer and be directly interpreting the output of the sensor. Trying to use these with an existing fischer cabled dive computer would be really stupid IMO. Far better to use a computer designed to read them directly.

Does this mean that rebreathers would not be trying to kill the user nearly as often? I’m not a rebreather diver.

Does this mean that rebreathers would not be trying to kill the user nearly as often? I’m not a rebreather diver.
Rebreathers don’t try to kill a diver. Divers get distracted/lazy/negligent/don’t follow procedure/poorly trained/learn from muppets on YouTube/etc.

Rebreathers don’t try to kill a diver. Divers get distracted/lazy/negligent/don’t follow procedure/poorly trained/learn from muppets on YouTube/etc.
So I'm totally a CCR newb who just has his air dil cert. But after finishing the course the whole "iTs TrYiNg To KiLL u" schtick is such bs and dumb. Do you need to respect it and be on the ball? Yes.

Arguably the largest risk to rebreather diving that isn't operator error is an issue with the sensors. They way they work and they way they fail is really not suited to this environment and this sensor will alleviate the majority of those risks.

About the only time a rebreather will actively try to kill you is if it is an eCCR that is being fed bad information from the sensors which causes the unit to continue to inject O2. This has killed divers before but it is not a terribly common one as you tend to catch that sort of behavior before it's a real issue. These sensors are not prone to that failure mode which is quite nice.

It most certainly is, take your hands off the wheel at 100kph and you most likely kill yourself or at the very least end up badly injured.
That’s a poor comparison. Yes, rebreathers are to be taken seriously and monitored. Yes, there are far too many ****** rebreather instructors (and even more divers). No, they are not prone to kill you or electing to do so. Your comparison would suggest cars are trying to kill you. Are cars trying to kill you?

Are cars trying to kill you?
No more or less than my rebreather is. Don't maintain your car, don't drive as you were trained, take hands off wheel, speed, drive under the influence, inattention, fiddling with your phone, lose control, mechanical failure (think breaks) end up dead/ badly injured (more likely to kill someone else too). Don't maintain your CCR, don't dive it as you were trained, old sorb, cells, not enough 02, inattention, you hurt yourself possible end up dead (much less likely to kill someone else in process) nothing to do with the rebreather trying to kill you all down to how you treat and dive the unit, attitude etc. It is just a silly statement that often get bandied around in discussion surrounding CCR.

Some people are just not meant to be diving CCR, some people should not be driving a motor vehicle.

No more or less than my rebreather is. Don't maintain your car, don't drive as you were trained, take hands off wheel, speed, drive under the influence, inattention, fiddling with your phone, lose control, mechanical failure (think breaks) end up dead/ badly injured (more likely to kill someone else too). Don't maintain your CCR, don't dive it as you were trained, old sorb, cells, not enough 02, inattention, you hurt yourself possible end up dead (much less likely to kill someone else in process) nothing to do with the rebreather trying to kill you all down to how you treat and dive the unit, attitude etc. It is just a silly statement that often get bandied around in discussion surrounding CCR.

Some people are just not meant to be diving CCR, some people should not be driving a motor vehicle.

So Jesus can take the wheel but not the rebreather? Learn something new every day!

All jokes aside I got the analogy.. I have heard the analogy of flying a plane, checklists and all that is better suited to CCR, yeah?

I am not CCR, but I'll get there.

Back
Top Bottom