Poseidon regulators??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tbar-good advice! Thanks!
Tbone1004-I plan on calling today to check on the Poseidon reg but am leaning away from them. It makes a lot if sense to get similar regs for primary, deco etc. Plus, I've never used one & would have to buy them & pray that I like them. I suppose that I could sell them if I don't like them; is it true that the 2nd will free flow when not in use?
I'll PM contact info & am happy to help if I don't buy them myself. I probably won't, but...???

---------- Post added September 24th, 2015 at 06:08 AM ----------

FWIW-I don't take mag reviews too seriously; I learned that lesson with high-end electronics. I have read a few reviews online as I am looking for a new reg & the reviews can provide some useful info. When referring to something that I've never tried I read the review and ask people who actually own/use the gear!

the will freeflow at very low tank pressures. They need a certain IP to seal, it's part of the semi-downstream design. The parts aren't that expensive anymore, they used to be insane, but you can see the retail prices on all of the parts on the DGX website.

AMS, I will continue to say it because it is true, you can not get factory service kits or parts for Aqualung/Scubapro etc. regulators without being a factory trained service technician, working for an authorized dealer. You can get 3rd party kits sure, but if you need a replacement "part" that isn't part of the kits, you can't buy them from the factory. Hog is as good as Dive Rite, but I prefer the XT's to the D3's, personal preference. When Jack hiked the price of the regs up to the point where you have no advantage to buying hogs, you may as well go with something that you can get serviced globally if you aren't servicing themselves.

sorry for the hijack:

anyone had issues with using the Poseidon hose adapters and then not having the swivel work at the second stage? I swapped in two standard hoses I had using factory adapters, and they won't spin..... the adapter actually begins to spin off the reg instead.....

I had that happen on one hose....switched hoses and all was well, turned out to be a chroming thickness problem on the fitting of the generic hose. I've had no problems since. We use the Poseidon hose connectors on our Xstreams ( wife and I have 6 in total) and picked up some Cyclon 2nd stage hose adapters to use generic LP hoses on our Cyclon regulators on a trip to the UK ( we have 5 Cylcons). I haven't seen Cyclon hose adapters in North America. None of our adapters have a swivel built in to them.
Norman H.

Norman, do you have cyklon hose adapters that aren't the omniswivels? Those are available here, but wicked expensive....

For Jetstream/Xstream, the cheap ones from DGX work fine, but if I wasn't so cheap I would just buy the omniswivels. Combine ball swivel, hose adapter, and the OPV for $90 isn't a bad deal.
Omni Swivel Poseidon Xtreme Swivel | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

For Cyklon
Omni Swivel Poseiden Cyklon Swivel | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

Omni Swivel 9/16-18 Male to Poseidon Cyklon Female | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

and there is a straight one but I can't find it from Omni.

That's not a bad price. I've acquired a pair of Extremes for about $400 (which I was crowing about for days to anyone that would listen, and even to folks that wouldn't) so I certainly wouldn't turn up my nose at an Xstream for $250. Damn fine reg. As for having similar regs in your stable, it does indeed make sense. That's exactly what my husband and I have: all Poseidons, with the exception of our recreational singles kits and O2 regs (I try not to count them all, but there about a dozen now). I can assure you that if you buy one and don't like it, there is no shortage of folks that would be willing to take it off your hands!

I have never had a problem with the second stage free flowing when not in use. You can certainly tune them that way, but I have mine so that they're slightly less sensitive. Still breathes like a dream, though.

Hi tbone,
We just use the Xstream (latest version Mk III 1st stage) 2nd stage hose connector as it takes a standard hose out of the box. It will also fit the Jetstream 2nd stage :). I got these ones for our Cyclons when I was in the UK visiting family...had them sent to my Mam's to avoid the international shipping fees.
Poseidon Hose Adaptors
I can't find them anywhere in N. America. I even sent the link to the Canadian Distributor for Poseidon at the time and he couldn't source them either!
It is cheaper to put an overpressure valve into the LP port on the 1st stage if it didn't come with one built in from the factory and use the straight adapter than buy the Omni swivel with the adapter built in to the fitting
Cheers,
Norman H.

Last edited:
$250 is a great price. The XStream is the best breathing reg I've ever used below 200 feet. But they are a bitch to service, parts are expensive, and the first stages burn through servos on a regular basis.

As for getting parts from NESS or the like for Apeks, etc., they are not usually OEM parts. Some of the third party stuff has been less than acceptable.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.
All very true..I will add that very few LDS in our area can reliably service them correctly due to part cost and availability along with tech experience. I would not bother owning one at any price, and I can service it, or can get it serviced at no cost to myself.

As for getting parts from NESS or the like for Apeks, etc., they are not usually OEM parts. Some of the third party stuff has been less than acceptable.

The last time I purchased kits from Ness the Sherwood kit was third party but the Apeks kits were genuine from a dive shop that closed (or so it said) in the U.K. This was about 2 years ago. For second stages, I usually just use generic parts and have never had a problem. For first stages I only use generic parts on MK-10, MK-5, and MK-2s. I have not had a problem yet. For other firsts I usually use the factory kit.

Also sometimes the factory kits have problems too.

All very true..I will add that very few LDS in our area can reliably service them correctly due to part cost and availability along with tech experience. I would not bother owning one at any price, and I can service it, or can get it serviced at no cost to myself.

part cost and availability is no longer an issue as of 2 years ago. Tech experience is the current limitation. If you find any laying around for cheap, let me know :-D

Back
Top Bottom