Poseidon regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to scubastore, you cannot breathe nitrox with the Jetstream MK3 regulator, why?

Before depositing a whole lot of cash for Poseidon regulators (which I like) I would suggest renting a set of Poseidons and comparing against comparable regs. like an APEKS, or Scubapro. My favorite regulator for working is the Poseidon. For other dives like cave I like the APEKS & Scubapro. They feel lighter in the mouth and for general tech diving applications easier to access parts and no expensive dedicated hoses to deal with. Poseidon hoses are $$$$$ and not always easy to get a hold of...at least in the US. Same with servicing as a lot of people can botch up repair work.

In all I like the Poseidon regulator for it's durability, reliability and toughness for working dives. It has survived years of being bashed around. As per the side exhaust it's OK. It can orient your head a tiny bit to the side when exhaling. The advantage with side exhaust is when someone wants to breathe off your reg.. Orientation in the mouth is no biggie. Having said that - a lot of people have difficulty accessing the purge, or cannot fully blow out water from the chamber. One person during a drill nearly choked on it even with a orientation beforehand.

I am diving with a redundant setup: my primary is an Apeks XTX200 and my secondary a Poseidon Cyclon 5000. Just as the OP, I am based in Europe and access to service is not an issue for Poseidon over here so that should not be a reason not to go for it. I do have to say though that service on Poseidon is more expensive than on Apeks (and on most other brands). More importantly, I personally feel that the Apeks has less breathing resistance and is breathing more comfortably than the Poseidon Cyclon. The exhaust is sideways so bubbles surely do not disturb in any way either.

Both regulators are good stuff, but if I were to choose again, I would not take the Poseidon again but would rather go for a full Apeks kit (XTX50 would do fine). A buddy of mine is also diving a Poseidon Cyclon and he would never go for anything else as he likes the feeling that you really have to suck it to get the air out. I would guess though that most people would enjoy the Apeks better.

I cannot command on any other brand than Apeks or Poseidon so I am by no means saying that there are no other very good brands around. I just have no personal experience with them, hence my preference for Apeks when comparing between the two.

I own 5 sets of Poseidon Jetstreams (plus enough spare parts to build another set or two) 4 sets are dedicated for 'doubles', one is a recreational set. While my Jet's always performed great, I can't say I'd recommend them for a new diver, parts and competent servicing have been 'issues' in the past, so overall they are just more effort to deal with than the more common/conventional brands. For my recreational/tourist/single tank dives I prefer my Apeks/Atomics/Aqualung/Mares regs.

I know this is off topic, but what regulators would you recommend for diving in cold water (4-5 degrees celsius), with Nitrox?

I want to put premium money in the regulator as this is IMHO the most important equipment.

- Halcyon H75P with Halo 2nd stage?
- Atomic T2X?
- Poseidon Jetstream?
- Scubapro MK25?
- Apeks XTX200?

How do you know if you can use nitrox or not with the regulators? Some say you can, some say you cant.. I dont understand... Maybe I`ll understand when I actually take the nitrox course next month, hehe...

Help appreciated!

Any clean (e.g., not polluted with oil) regulator can be used with 40% EAN (or less) without any special preparation or such, anyone telling you otherwise either has no idea of what they are talking about or is trying to pick your pocket.

You are missing two really good lines there: Hog/Edge and Oceanic/Hollis.

I know this is off topic, but what regulators would you recommend for diving in cold water (4-5 degrees celsius), with Nitrox?

I want to put premium money in the regulator as this is IMHO the most important equipment.

- Atomic T2X?
- Poseidon Jetstream?
- Scubapro MK25?
- Apeks XTX200?

How do you know if you can use nitrox or not with the regulators? Some say you can, some say you cant.. I dont understand... Maybe I`ll understand when I actually take the nitrox course next month, hehe...

Help appreciated!

Basically a scubapro MK25 just rebranded and repriced higher.

- Atomic T2X?
Titanium piston reg, not recommended for >40% nitrox and is very expensive.

- Poseidon Jetstream?
Try one out first, strange breathing operation, finicky to service and expensive to maintain.

- Scubapro MK25?
Great warm water reg but has been know to free flow in colder waters.

- Apeks XTX200?
Great reg but the XTX 100 breaths better and is cheaper.

- Aqualung legend LX
Don't bother getting the LX supreme as it's the same just detuned with a mouth guard.

- Scubapro MK 17/G250V
Great reg, is the newest in terms of design and is very affordable.

- Hog D1
Very affordable and based upon the Apeks DST. I would strongly advice it if you lived in the us or can get parts/servicing easily. Still a very new company when it comes to regs so parts and servicing know how may be hard to come by from where you are at.

Basically imo I would only consider these regs if I lived where you are.

- XTX 100.
- Aqualung legend LX
- Scubapro MK 17/G250V

SangP

- Scubapro MK25?
Great warm water reg but has been know to free flow in colder waters.

Gotta disagree with your comment on this one SangP. I dive cold water for 80% of my dives (every weekend), my MK25 works great, and NEVER freeflows. What is the source of your information? Look at the US Navy tables for qualified regulators. The MK25 has been approved to 38 degrees F.

Have you used the MK25 in cold water in Sinapore? Or is your information second hand? Let us know......

- Poseidon Jetstream?
Try one out first, strange breathing operation, finicky to service and expensive to maintain.

Gotta disagree with your comment on this one SangP.
Have you ever used a Poseidon Jetstream? Strange breathing operation? Is your information second hand? Let us know......

- Poseidon Jetstream?

Gotta disagree with your comment on this one SangP.
Have you ever used a Poseidon Jetstream? Strange breathing operation? Is your information second hand? Let us know......

I have used an extreme, jet stream and another poseidon reg but I can't remember what it's called.

The on demand way a poseidon breaths is very strange for me as I was trained with standard regs that breath with a slight inhalation. With the poseidons I breath, there's a slight delay and I then there's a surge of air. The purge is also very scary, a huge blast of air that unless I'm prepared for is like getting my tonsils blow away!

This operation is rather disconcerting for me and being in Singapore, the servicing costs of a poseidon is twice that of my apeks/aqualungs.

They also cost about SGD $1,350 here which is more than US $900.

I did consider them once but after trying a couple of them out, I went back to my apeks n aqualungs.

SangP

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom