poseidon or mares or scubapro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is better for tech. I have a couple (for tech) but recreationally dive a Mares V32 and Proton XL second - great comfortable reg and reliabel and robust - have friends who are very happy with the SP too.

I have had good success with the top end of the Mares range, good breathing at all depths and any position. The Xtreem is a bit expensive but I have head from people that have used it that it performs well.

I have had some bad experiences with the ScubaPro regs in general and don't like the setup of the newer ones. If you can do a test with a couple before you buy. If have to buy without trying I'd go for the Mares one.

FLOW RATE PROBLEM?
i've done some further comparisons about ScubaPro MK25 or MK16/S550 and Mares V16 Proton. a friendly guy from my LDS told me the flowrate of MK25 is very high and diver in most cases need to send it back for adjustment, else air consumption could be a problem owing to the strong flow.

PISTON or DIAPHRAGM? UNBALANCED 2nd stage a drawback?
On the other hand, MK25 is a balanced piston while MK16 is the balanced diaphragm 1st stage. i've learnt from my instructor that balanced diaphragm is always the better choice, comment? Is it true that i also should pick a whole set of balanced 1st and 2nd stage for smooth air flow? i noticed the Scubapro MK16/S550 set is balanced with 1st and 2nd stage while Mares V16 with proton got an unbalanced 2nd stage...

thanks for any comments.

anno:
i haven't got any chance to dive with these regs and i listed them only based on research from forums and recommendation from my instructor. i understand it would be best if i would be given the chance to try these all out before making the purchase decision but it looks unlikely that i would be offered the chance...
If someone wants you to spend a bunch of money in their shop, the least they can do is let you try the product. I am sure you could rent them for a dive too.
Renting and testing is still cheaper than buying something you don't like and having to replace it later :wink:

Big Blue One:
This is better for tech. I have a couple (for tech) but recreationally dive a Mares V32 and Proton XL second - great comfortable reg and reliabel and robust - have friends who are very happy with the SP too.
I disagree that a Poseidon is overkill. As you know, they are very nice, top of the line, regs.
It's similar to cars: For most people a Hyundai will be more than enough but given the choice, most people will take the BMW.
Otherwise, I completely agree with you concerning the Mares.

anno:
FLOW RATE PROBLEM?
i've done some further comparisons about ScubaPro MK25 or MK16/S550 and Mares V16 Proton. a friendly guy from my LDS told me the flowrate of MK25 is very high and diver in most cases need to send it back for adjustment, else air consumption could be a problem owing to the strong flow.

PISTON or DIAPHRAGM? UNBALANCED 2nd stage a drawback?
On the other hand, MK25 is a balanced piston while MK16 is the balanced diaphragm 1st stage. i've learnt from my instructor that balanced diaphragm is always the better choice, comment? Is it true that i also should pick a whole set of balanced 1st and 2nd stage for smooth air flow? i noticed the Scubapro MK16/S550 set is balanced with 1st and 2nd stage while Mares V16 with proton got an unbalanced 2nd stage...

thanks for any comments.
Don't get too much into the number thing. In the end you'll get into information overload :wink:
These are numbers that tell you very little about how the reg is performing under water and how it will feel to you.
I always prefered the diaphragm first stages, other will prefer piston. Both have pros and cons. In the end it comes down to personal preferences. Both systems will be able to deliver more than enough air.
A balanced first stage is good but Mares is able to make unbalanced second stages that breath better than many balanced.
I took my Mares Abyss down to 50 meters and it was breathing the same like in 5 meters and it has an unbalanced second stage.
The suggestion from others to upgrade to the V32/Proton is a good one. They are the further development of the Abyss. I was thinking about upgrading myself to the V32/Proton metal but I have more important expenses right now.

I have used many regs over the years and there are only two brands that I feel comfortable with. Scubapro and Apeks. My first choice would be the Scubapro. Ive owned eight or ten over the years and they have always worked for me. I currently use a Scubapro Mk20 and D400. It has been my favorite and I don't seem to want to change around any longer. Good luck...

The Mares V16/Proton is a good regulator, but it's not in the same league as the ScubaPro MK25/S600.

I have a Scubapro Mk25/G250HP combo and I really like it. If you dont mind a bit bigger second stage the 250 has the same gutz as the S600. And I believe that on the Mk25 you dont have to send it back to be adjusted, there should be a knob on the side that you turn to adjust. Also the Mk25 will deliver massive amounts of air, and the 16 is more for slight changes, well this is what i have herd.

I find it hard to find any scuba equipment that will not do. But I prefer the Posiden. They have meany unique qualities that the others don't. When kitting up they can be breathed from either side. I have several sets of regs, including six sets of Posiden Oden and Cyclon 5000. They all breathe a little rough in the first 30 Ft. or so, but at 200 it is like nothing else I have ever breathed. VERY RUGGED.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom