poseidon jetstream or apeks atx 200?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and also, DIR says that poseidons are upstream regs which is why they dont recommend it. does this pose a problem? whats the difference?

LeisurePro:

Xstream - $435-$490
ATX200 - $475

ScubaStore:

Xstream - $436-$464
ATX200 - $445

SimplyScuba:

Xstream - $523-$595
ATX200 - $481

Depending on the model, you can still find the Xstream cheaper. The single-tank version is always the most expensive.

"and also, DIR says that poseidons are upstream regs which is why they dont recommend it. does this pose a problem?"

Unless you plan on taking GUE courses, it isn't something to worry about. Poseidons have one of the longest and best track records in scuba.

Unless you are going to dive very deep (600') or use high O2 percentages (over 40%, up to 100%), the Poseidon Xstream "Dive" model (gray color) should be just fine. It is also the only Xstream that comes with a hose ( the "deep"/black one and "deco"/white models do not). Also bear in mind that the prices quoted above, at least at LP, don't include warranties and free parts for either Apeks or Poseidon. For that matter, even if an Apeks from the Scuba Store does include a factory warranty, it will be European and European warranties don't include free parts for life anyway- that is thru Aqualung only, in the US. If you are considering the Xstream, I recommend sending a PM to Bob3- as your friendly Viking dealer he is also your friendly Poseidon dealer. Also, the Poseidons come standard with DIN and you'll need to cost in a yoke adaptor if needed but do come with a nice padded reg storage bag. I got an Xstream from Bob a couple of months ago and at the time, the price was less than what I'm seeing posted above. For that matter, at one time, Bob also had the full range of Apeks listed for less than LP.

yknot:
For that matter, even if an Apeks from the Scuba Store does include a factory warranty, it will be European and European warranties don't include free parts for life anyway- that is thru Aqualung only, in the US
This is also true in Canada.
Also, the Poseidons come standard with DIN and you'll need to cost in a yoke adaptor if needed
The Xstream ergulator comes with a DIN/yoke adapter.
I think that the fact that the poseidon doesn't come with a free parts guarantee is a big setback, but don't be worried about this with the Apeks as it is covered for life. I think that would be enough to sway me in that direction.

I have a poseidon jetstream and an apkes TX50. The Jetstream is incredible....when tuned correctly. I also own a Cyklon 5000 and have to say it's my third choice...it just seems to shut down when I'm muckin' around on the bottom(the reg seems to be sensitive to getting muck in the second stage) and it's durability is it's claim to fame. I don't know why I have this problem with the Cyklon vs. Apeks vs. Jetstream.

My Jetsteam is a joy to breathe from AND there is very little jaw fatigue since it's side breathing....I love it, and the guys I supply equipment to when we dive(I have so much equipment) always ask if they can dive with it.

The free parts thing is silly since parts are almost free anyhow and it's the cost of labour in the annual service. I have never tried the latest Poseidon Xtremes but would like to.

Back
Top Bottom