Poseidon 2nd stage with other 1st??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ghrousseau

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can anyone comment on the use of the Poseidon Cyklon or Jetstream 2nd stages with other balance piston 1st stages?? I was planning on using with freshly rebuilt Mark 10'.

Thanks.

The Mk 10 is limited to a maximum intermediate pressure of about 145 psi. This works very well with the newer Poseiden sencond stages, but if my memory is correct, the Cyklon second stage likes to run at 165-170 psi. I am not sure how well it would function at a lower IP.

You could shim the Mk 10's mainspring to achieve that pressure, but this would compress the mainspring well in excess of it's normal working range and would seriously affect spring life and reliability. A broken mainspring is one of the nastier failures to have during a dive as it is one of the few that could potentially result in a stoppage of air flow.

With your Mk 10 and a newer Poseiden second stage, you would still want to confirm that your Mk 10 is set up to run at 140-145 psi and have the second stage tuned to your particular first stage.

DA Aquamaster:
The Mk 10 is limited to a maximum intermediate pressure of about 145 psi. This works very well with the newer Poseiden sencond stages, but if my memory is correct, the Cyklon second stage likes to run at 165-170 psi. I am not sure how well it would function at a lower IP.

You could shim the Mk 10's mainspring to achieve that pressure, .
WHAT

shimmin a reg to obtain a IP higher than its design.. espicaly to that exten will cause it to lockup.
thats just a bad idea.
get a 1st stage that will provide the nessary ip to the second stage.

I don't see it being a problem (your orignial idea) The poseidon may not perform at its ideal range but it will work. I think that you have the right idea of pairing it with a flow through piston first stage though. That will give it a goof flow rate to work with. Keep in mind, oceanic does something similar with their Omega II second stage. www.oceanicworldwide.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom