Portable Photo Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Day one evalution of the Nexto CF:
Installing the Toshiba 100 gig hard drive took about 2 minutes and was very easy.

I downloaded three full 2 gig cards one right after the other. Each card took just few seconds over 2 minutes to load! After 30 seconds of inactivity the Nexto turned itself off automatically. It blazed! Downloading the 6 gigs into my laptop via firewire took just a little over 6 minutes. Not bad for 297 raw images!

I copied the files and then couldn't figure out how to delete them from the Nexto. I thought if I put them in my laptop's trash that would do. I sent out an email to Nexto and in less than 24 hours (on the weekend no less) got a response from Larry Seong in S. Korea and got info on what I had not done. As my wife would say I needed to take out the trash. Emptied the trash on the laptop, restarted the Nexto and the files were gone. Very easy.

I'll get it out in a real shooting enviroment soon and will give you my thoughts.

ssra30:
Hmmm, I thought firewire is only marginally faster than USB2.
I thought so too. It seems there are different versions of firewire just as there are different versions of USB:

For example, Jürgen Hartmann, of IDS Imaging Development Systems, advocates USB2.0: "We have stopped using our Camera Link products. Just like FireWire, USB2.0 supports isochronous (simultaneous) data transfer and is slightly faster at 480 MBit/s than FireWire a (400 MBit/s) and slower than FireWire b (800 MBit/s). However, with an annual increase of almost 40% in terms of peripherals, it has by far exceeded all other interfaces. The USB2.0 interface is available on every computer because it is directly integrated in the Intel chip set. Our customers want to have this high degree of availability in order to connect cameras."

As far as firewire vs USB2, this is what I read. For PC, there is something to do with the way firewire is implemented so it is basically the same speed as USB2 whereas OE2X is using Apple which may be the difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom