Portable Photo Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X, I definintely am looking forward to hear your view on the Nexto. Generally I take my laptop with me everywhere but USB2 is going to take a long time to download 4GB card. If the Nexto is nice and fast and reliable (and long enough battery life to download 4GB card at least a couple of times) it would be nice especially when surface interval is not long or when I am on a daytrip boat rather than a liveaboard.

ssra30:
OE2X, I definintely am looking forward to hear your view on the Nexto. Generally I take my laptop with me everywhere but USB2 is going to take a long time to download 4GB card. If the Nexto is nice and fast and reliable (and long enough battery life to download 4GB card at least a couple of times) it would be nice especially when surface interval is not long or when I am on a daytrip boat rather than a liveaboard.

Another alternative is to get a firewire card reader. I now have one as a backup to the Nexto. If the Nexto dies at least I'll be able to transfer the card onto my laptop quicker than the USB reader. My guess with the Nexto is to have a very small pelican case for it and then take that on board with you for day trips. If you are on a live aboard you will want to look at your shots at night on the laptop.

OE2X:
Another alternative is to get a firewire card reader. I now have one as a backup to the Nexto. If the Nexto dies at least I'll be able to transfer the card onto my laptop quicker than the USB reader. My guess with the Nexto is to have a very small pelican case for it and then take that on board with you for day trips. If you are on a live aboard you will want to look at your shots at night on the laptop.

Hmmm, I thought firewire is only marginally faster than USB2. Since I am a cheapskate, I bought regular a Viking 4GB card rather than Sandisck Extreme III which is about twice as expensive so my rate limiting step for transfering picture to my laptop is probably going the card.
Beside, most laptop only has 4 pins firewire port (including my new laptop) so I would have to get a firewire cardreader that has its own power supply which is a bit annoying. I do have a USB2 CF cardreader that is ok but take a while to download (hopefully during one of the longer surface interval :) )

I will have one night in Singapore next week on my way to Indonesia, will see if I can find a Nexto there....oh no, more shopping!

OE2X:
One thing to keep in mind that if you go this route is to get a hard drive that is 16 bit. This will give you faster download rates. I believe that Toshiba is the only one making one. I chose the 100 gig drive.
I did some reading on Nexto. Certainly looks very promising. As far as hard drive goes, I assume you mean 16 mb cache rather than 16 bits and so far it look like Toshiba is the only one however I wonder since other people have mentioned Hitachi as they have some HDs that are a bit more robust and can withstand a bit more abuse!
Hmmm.. decision, decision :)

I still recommend the Epson P-2000. It will read and copy a 1GB Ultra II card in about 8 minutes. I can't say enough about how good the screen looks. It is certainly good enough to decided which images are keepers.

Just came back from a 2 week vacation using a compact drive PD70X as storage. I'm very happy with it. It gets my vote.

FWIW - I just got a firewire card reader for my laptop as a backup. It was able to download a full 2 meg card in less than 3 minutes. Yesterday I shot 28 gigs of photos, so for me speed is of the essence. Today I'll give the nexto a run.

OE2X:
FWIW - I just got a firewire card reader for my laptop as a backup. It was able to download a full 2 meg card in less than 3 minutes. Yesterday I shot 28 gigs of photos, so for me speed is of the essence. Today I'll give the nexto a run.

You mean 2 gigs right?

My compact drive copies my full 80x 2gb compact flash card in about 3 mins 30 secs.

crestgel:
You mean 2 gigs right?

My compact drive copies my full 80x 2gb compact flash card in about 3 mins 30 secs.
Yes I meant 2 gigs. :wink: It's still morning out here on the left coast and I haven't had coffee yet.

The PD70X certainly seems good. I'm very tempted to get one so that I have two card readers for one of my more remote trips.

OE2X:
Yes I meant 2 gigs. :wink: It's still morning out here on the left coast and I haven't had coffee yet.

The PD70X certainly seems good. I'm very tempted to get one so that I have two card readers for one of my more remote trips.

Depends on the camera you shoot. Its *really* easy to shoot 6-8gb of photos with a Nikon D2X or Canon EOS-1Ds/EOS-1Ds Mark II.

Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom