Portable Photo Storage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PapaBob

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to reprise this issue. Last Christmas I was given an Ipod Photo. Just before my Keys trip in June I bought the new Apple camera connector. In order to use it, I needed to download a firmware update for the Ipod from Apple which was relatively painless to install. As I shot in the Keys, I downloaded daily from my camera to the Ipod.

Unfortunately, the vacation experiment was interrupted by a break in at the house where we were staying. My camera was with me and my camera gear was not lifted, but the Ipod was. Bummer.

This weekend I replaced the Ipod with the new 60gb version. It comes std with a color screen, and photo capability, so they don’t call it the Ipod Photo anymore. After set up, I uploaded some Jpeg files by telling the Ipod to sync with a folder I call Ipod Photos. You also have to tell the Itunes software to treat the Ipod as an external drive so it doesn’t automatically disconnect after update. The display is small but it works quite nicely. As you might expect, the Ipod can store but not display camera raw images.

Now the acid test. I connected the Ipod to my 20D and followed the instructions on the Ipod to import the camera raw pictures I took over the 4th of July weekend. The Ipod and camera connector functioned flawlessly. Download speed is slower than a computer, but you don’t just sit there and watch it. Fifty raw pics or so were in the Ipod in a few minutes.

I then connected the Ipod to my computer and opened its DCIM folder in the Photoshop CS2 bridge. Importing the raw shots directly from the Ipod into the raw converter was no problem. Experimental success!

My conclusion, the Ipod is a nifty travel tool. Not only do you have your personal music collection, you have a hi cap storage device as a back up to your CF (or other media) cards. Just watch out for the crooks. My friendly Monroe county deputy sheriff informed me that Ipods are high on the desired list for juvenile reprobates.

An Ipod is not a computer and not a substitute for a good laptop if you can haul one to your destination.

—Bob

Another great unit can be found at http://www.compactdrive.com/ It is the fastest drive/reader combo on the market. You can get over 70GB copied on one battery charge (the complaint I have heard about the ipod is short battery when copying CF cards). You can get them for less than a hundred dollars without a drive (if you have a spare laptop drive laying around to fill it with).

Ben

Alcina: LOL! I hope I havn't made the same mistake twice.

BP: As I understand it, Apple was sued over battery problems in early version of the Ipod. This one sluped up 50 raw pics with only minor battery drain. A full 1gb CF card should be no sweat. The compact drive looks interesting.

---Bob

I actually have a couple of memory cards for my camera (16mb - came with, and 512mb and a 1gig) I also bring my laptop and then drop the pictures on to it. For me it is easier because I love taking pictures! So, I need mroe storage. Also my camera takes video as well as stills, so you can use a 1 gig card up quickly.

I'm looking at the Apacer Disc Steno CP80 CD burner, seems to be the cheapest option buying from the UK.

I'm sure the Ipod works great for most people, but as a wedding photographer I need it, YESTERDAY! <lol> My fix was just to buy lots of CF cards (currently have 2 2GB and 2 1GB cards). Works fine at weddings but on vacation I need more space (took 10.5 GB of photos in Maui last month). I'm trying to decide between a new laptop and one of those compact drives.

Ben

ScubaBOBuba:
Alcina: LOL! I hope I havn't made the same mistake twice.

BP: As I understand it, Apple was sued over battery problems in early version of the Ipod. This one sluped up 50 raw pics with only minor battery drain. A full 1gb CF card should be no sweat. The compact drive looks interesting.

---Bob

I've just picked up a Nexto CF with a 100 gig Toshiba drive as a card reader. Shooting in Raw I only get 99 shots for a 2 gig card so I need something fast.

Reportedly the Nexto will read these cards at about 12 meg per sec or a full 2 gig card around 8 minutes.

Give me a couple of weeks to use it and I'll get back to you on how it works. I can tell you that it takes about 25 minutes to download a 2 gig card through my PCI slot on my new G4.

The current king of PHD storage is the Epson P-2000. It has a 640x480 screen and can display RAW files from the more popular cameras. It's a little pricey at $500.

Creative has a new one coming out called the Zen Vision. It will also have a 640x480 screen but I'm not sure about displaying raw files. It will be aimed mainly at the music and video crowd. I'm told pricing will be lower than the Epson. FYI it does have card slots.

The problem with the display card readers is that they are slow. If you need something to read your cards quickly so that you can reformat them and get on with taking pictures, then you shouldn't go this route.

Back
Top Bottom