Portable Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not saying anything bad about Max-Air, however everyone in the world compares their compressors to Bauers, that should tell you something.

Any one else want to wiegh in?

I have aquired two compressors.

One Bauer Jr. with unkown hours. Looks brand new. No rust on head bolts or muffler. 5hp B&S engine. Looks like the stand and shroud are older models.

The other is a Max-air with less than 50 hours on it. Seems to be more compact than the Bauer.

Which would you keep and why?

Jeff

I tend to agree with Mike, however I feel long term parts availability is more important than price, I have ran into situations all too often where it was not a matter of price, it was they just don't make that part anymore. So check parts availability with both companies, Bauer has a history of keeping parts available for a long time, most parts are still available for my 1978 model Purus.

Ike

I would have to agree with Ike. Bauer not only supplies the parts I might require overnight they also give factory advise on properly installing them. I don't have any experence with Max-Air.

I would lean towards the Bauer, but how does the filtration, motors and output compare? They are likely both rated in the 3.5 cfm range, but how do they compare in a head to head challenge?

I think the max-air are coltri machines which are pretty well distributed and well reviewed as well.

Is one quieter than the other? Is one more easily converted between gas and electric power?

Bauer or Max-Air? I live close to these dealers. Which is better?
Assuming that you are purchasing new and also that the Bauer dealer you are talking about is August Industries, I would choose August.

I sell the same Coltri compressor as MA but have had mediocre feedback on their service from their customers. Even though the Coltri compressor is about $1000 less, based on your dealers' service track records, I would go with the Bauer.

Ray, your correct on MA services. That is why I purchased some needed Items from you in the last six month.

The Honda 5.5 is quieter and starts on first pull every time. I am considering, as one poster mentioned, converting the Bauer to electric and putting in two or three storage bottles for a home unit.

Jeff

I'm partial to Quincy and Bauer, but have owned Worthington and Poseidon compressors as well. Bauer has an excellent reputation (nothing against the other manufacturer) and is known for quick part replacement world-wide. I would side with Bauer if given the choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom