Portable changing / shower enclosure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wheatondiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
One quarry that I dive does not have any amenities other than porta johns, so changing in and out of street clothes is not very easy. Also, I purchased one of the solar shower at an outdoor store that was going out of business and thought I might be nice to rinse off after a dive. I have a sedan (volvo s80) so trunk space is at a premium after getting my dive gear and my son's dive gear and a few tanks in there.

I was thinking of putting together a tripod with sectional legs that could be broken down and transported rather easily. I have an old tripod stool that has a "three-way bolt" that allows the legs to pivot into place. I thought of using electrical conduit for the legs and wrapping a blue tarp around.

What are other people using? I would hate to re-invent the wheel if there is something on the market at a reasonable price.

The other option might be to drive 3 hours vs. 1 hour to a quarry that has more amenities.

Any thoughts?

I have this same problem at one of the local quarries and I picked up a shower tent that stands about 7-8 feet tall with a 3' x 3' square base. It sets up and tears down in about 5 minutes and is completely enclosed with mesh venting at the top so as not to get to hot, costs a little over $30.

I solved the problem by only diving at nudist quarries.

(seriously though, show up in your swimsuit, dive, leave in your swimsuit. Or, show up early when there is no one there so you can strip fast without anyone noticing. Atlernatively, if the water is somewhat warm, or bearable, you could hop in to change, but then your street clothes get wet. Really, I just wear a swimsuit out there. And I wear it back. And if anyone looks at me wierd, I explain that I dive, and that usually clears it up. Unless I throw in the bit about the nudist quarries, that kind of doesn't go over well.

Thanks for the responses. I was looking at a shower enclosure from Campmoor. I may go that route.

The option with showing up in my swimsuit would work in the warm months, but I am planning on expanding my season through November or December. In the DC area that can be a little chilly and I would like to be a littler dryer and warmer.

Where did you get your shower enclosure? Does it have poles or does it hang from an overhead support such as a tree branch?

Sweatpants. Put them on over your swimsuit. Beats changing into the swimsuit (which requires total nudity) at the site. Now, I can see why you might want to change out of it into dry clothes after the dive. I'd say, just get a speedo. It'll dry pretty quickly and you can (and should!) wear other clothes on top of it without feeling odd.

Got my enclosure at Wal-Mart and it comes with four poles. Sets up just like a tent, even has a flap to stand on in front of the door so you can put your shoes on outside and keep the inside clean.

If you want a little more room, try a portable ice fishing shanty. We use it for ice dives and colder weather changing. Add a small propane heater and the surface crew can stay toasty warm while tending.

Back
Top Bottom