Port Washington/Sheboygan/MKE area sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KSDeepDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Will be up in the area in July on a family trip. Will have two OW divers (my kids) and myself (will have tech by then).

we are staying up near port Washington but can travel as needed.

Any good places we “need” to see or “must dive”?

I’m going to assume based on the geography that it’s rather cold up there, so drysuit or a heavy wet suit?

The Lake Michigan wrecks get deeper as you go north. There’s a lovely little pocket schooner (80ft long) called the Northerner that sank in 1868 that’s off Port Washington. 140ft to the bottom. I did her two years ago as a recreational dive. Gorgeous dive. Water temp was low 40s.

https://wisconsinshipwrecks.org/Vessel/Details/466?region=Index

Shipwreck Explorers out of Milwaukee will sometimes trailer their boat up there, but you’d have to check their online schedule. Capt Jitka is excellent, with a great ladder and Deco the Wonder Dog (boat dog) is super cute. :D

I don’t know much about shore dives on the big lake. An inland lake about 45 minutes north of Madison, Devils Lake, is fun to dive for everyone. Glacial lake with rockfalls into the water. Great to explore for fish, etc. It’s in the midst of the Baraboo Range. 40ft deep max. Viz can be iffy. If you go there, let me know and I’ll tell you exactly how to get to the entrance point. Can be a maze if you don’t have exact directions. The closest fills are in Madison.

Check with the dive shops in the Lake Michigan towns to see what is available for shore dives.

I often drive up from the Chicago area to dive in WI.

And yes, drysuit, 7mm, or semi dry.

Sounds like the kids won’t want to go now, lol

thanks for the info.

Sounds like the kids won’t want to go now, lol

thanks for the info.

Take the kids to Devils Lake. That's more their speed. The Lake Michigan wrecks down around Chicago are shallower and suitable for kids. Not the Milwaukee or more north stuff. Too deep.

Even Devils Lake will be cold in the midst of summer, so you'd still need a wetsuit. But my cold tolerance is skewed. I did ice diving in 38 degree water a few weeks ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom