Port Closures ... increased?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Curious. I have noticed a lot of port closures so far this fall.

Have there been more than "usual" this year? Kind of seems like it.

El Nino..............It's killing us in Florida too.

You bet. We are winding down our 3rd week here and port was closed for 5 days (2 days and then one for 3 days). Windguru.cz is showing something brewing next week also. Under the 25km/h for now but....
1000008062.jpg

You bet. We are winding down our 3rd week here and port was closed for 5 days (2 days and then one for 3 days). Windguru.cz is showing something brewing next week also. Under the 25km/h for now but....
View attachment 816853
Which one needs to be under 25, is ot wind speed? We're coming next week and I'm so worried

Which one needs to be under 25, is ot wind speed? We're coming next week and I'm so worried
It is usually the sustained but forcast vs actual are also two different things. Port Captain makes the call. When it closes, it stays closed until Captain opens it and it usually takes a wind shift direction to make that happen vs dropping below xx km/hr. A couple of deaths last week just after port closing may have Port Captain be more conservative so may not take 25km/hr. Windguru defaults to knots so you need to change to km/hr in options. Also, it is a forcast that will change many times. Only really good a day or 2 out.

It is usually the sustained but forcast vs actual are also two different things. Port Captain makes the call. When it closes, it stays closed until Captain opens it and it usually takes a wind shift direction to make that happen vs dropping below xx km/hr. A couple of deaths last week just after port closing may have Port Captain be more conservative so may not take 25km/hr. Windguru defaults to knots so you need to change to km/hr in options. Also, it is a forcast that will change many times. Only really good a day or 2 out.

Thank you I understand. Perhaps it's a language barrier but which line is the sustained line? Which line should ideally be below 25 km/h? Is it the wind speed?

And thank you, we are flying out on Monday but if the port is closed I'll consider changing our flight...I'll wait for Saturday

Ideally the wind speed but it is the Port Captain decision.
Island very, very busy and dive ops/hotels are full. Hope your dive op and hotel can be flexible.

I DON'T RECALL HOW MANY TIMES OVER THE LAST 30 YEARS HERE THAT MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN SPEED—IS DIRECTION. I HAVE SEEN MANY MANY DAYS OF WIND SPEED TO CLOSE THE PORT—BUT THE EAST SIDE OF THE ISLAND IS LIKE A LAKE. ANY WIND OVER 15 KOTS WITH WESTERLY PART OF THE WIND WOULD USUALLY CLOSE THE PORT. ONCE THE WIND IS A NORTH EASTERLY OR DUE EAST WIND THE PORT SHOULD NOT CLOSE NO MATTER THE VELOCITY.

BUT EACH NEW PORT "AUTHORITY" HAS A RISK AVERSION THAT MAY CHANGE. BUT WIND DIRECTION IS MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN VARIATIONS IN SPEED

DAVE DILLEHAY

I DON'T RECALL HOW MANY TIMES OVER THE LAST 30 YEARS HERE THAT MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN SPEED—IS DIRECTION. I HAVE SEEN MANY MANY DAYS OF WIND SPEED TO CLOSE THE PORT—BUT THE EAST SIDE OF THE ISLAND IS LIKE A LAKE. ANY WIND OVER 15 KOTS WITH WESTERLY PART OF THE WIND WOULD USUALLY CLOSE THE PORT. ONCE THE WIND IS A NORTH EASTERLY OR DUE EAST WIND THE PORT SHOULD NOT CLOSE NO MATTER THE VELOCITY.

BUT EACH NEW PORT "AUTHORITY" HAS A RISK AVERSION THAT MAY CHANGE. BUT WIND DIRECTION IS MUCH MORE IMPORTANT THAN VARIATIONS IN SPEED

DAVE DILLEHAY
Thanks. If I read correctly, the wind next Wednesday is northern which isn't good?

But I know that it's too early to know.

Thanks. If I read correctly, the wind next Wednesday is northern which isn't good?

But I know that it's too early to know.
I didn’t look at all the weather sites since Wednesday is so far out , but Windy essentially has a front coming down across the gulf but dissipating as it approaches Cozumel. Basically means forecasts show Wednesday kind of borderline. If the forecast actually held exactly as it is now port would be open , but forecast on another site right now might show winds that would close it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom