port aransas jetties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joens

Contributor
Reaction score
does anyone know anything about the port aransas jetties
as far as diving is concerned.
Chris Joens

Last time I dove there was '89 or so, but...
Vis is usually lousy, even at high tide.
There's usually a hell of a longshore current coming across the jetties from south to north, so generally a pretty good seabound rip along the south side of the south jetty.
Best conditions (at least the best I ever saw) were along the north side of the north jetty (St. Joe side) near the end, at high tide. No fishermen there either.
I'm not saying don't dive 'em... just be careful.
Rick

Well i live in corpus christi, about 30min from Port "A".
There is one time a year when its good, its around late august- early september.Its when "Blue Water" ,as we call it, comes in all the way up the jetties and the vis is about 50ft, and like rick said the currents are a real challenge.
I normally went out halfway down the south jetty by this large UTexas research pier, you can see some decent fish and invertebrates.
I normally only go when i need to try out new equipment or double check my gear before a dive trip.
If you go any other time in the year its like diving blind, i dont recommend it.
oh yea the large commercial traffic has picked up and its rather hairy when a fully loaded freighter comes by.

Mando

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom