Pop up Ads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mobile android.
The popup hovers over the top menu.
Sometimes it displays the ad and the menu under it. But mostly it hovers over the SB menu. So i cant click on the recent posts button, which is the only button i need.

Even after closing the app a white bar covers the SB buttons. SB is not usable for me at the moment.View attachment 716971
I'm getting this annoying ad as well.
Gonna look into it when I get home.

I too have felt this scourge despite being a paid supporter. It’s “Ads by Google”, a floating banner. Sometimes divers have to tolerate reduced visibility but we’re willing to pay a bit to travel elsewhere and see further…

On an iPad or iPhone, "Ghostery" is a good browser which does a lot of good ad blocking.

(All iPad + iPhone browsers have to use the underlying Safari engine -- security apparently -- but browsers are allowed to include adblockers and the like)

On an iPad or iPhone, "Ghostery" is a good browser which does a lot of good ad blocking.

(All iPad + iPhone browsers have to use the underlying Safari engine -- security apparently -- but browsers are allowed to include adblockers and the like)
Just uninstalled Adblock Plus and am trying Ghostery. It does address this issue, so happy about that. Appears to be subscription based and I wouldn’t be averse to paying something but not clear what I would be buying.

Just uninstalled Adblock Plus and am trying Ghostery. It does address this issue, so happy about that. Appears to be subscription based and I wouldn’t be averse to paying something but not clear what I would be buying.
You don't need to subscribe!

As ever, the "free" stuff is all you need.

I've been using it for some time now an am happy with it. Private mode (as per most browsers) means that none of the data/cookies is saved, so even fb can't track you unless you give your secret away (log on)

Starting today a pop up is appearing at the bottom of the screen.

iPad with all updates installed, browser = Safari.
Dear Scubaboard Admin,
You've done it now! The addition of the Google ad pop up at the bottom of the OSX Safari is beyond annoying.

Scubaboard members, watch for an announcement that for a fee you will be exempted for the new pop ups.

For years, I have enjoyed and learned from Scubaboard. I miss you.

Good bye!

I'll check back in a few months to see if you have come to your senses and removed the pop ups.

Dear Scubaboard Admin,
You've done it now! The addition of the Google ad pop up at the bottom of the OSX Safari is beyond annoying.

Scubaboard members, watch for an announcement that for a fee you will be exempted for the new pop ups.

For years, I have enjoyed and learned from Scubaboard. I miss you.

Good bye!

I'll check back in a few months to see if you have come to your senses and removed the pop ups.
If you read the thread fully you will see this is affecting those who's paid sponsorship monies. So unlikely to be something SB admins have done.

But then you won't read this.

Seems pretty obvious that the situation's a mistake. There's no benefit in SB alienating their customers. I'd presume they'll have it fixed up soon.

That said, those of you using ad blockers should check out ublock origin. It is everything Ablock+ used to be before they got into shady advertising deals themselves. Works on firefox, chrome, edge, opera, and their derivatives. Unfortunately, it doesn't support safari. Although I'm a scubaboard supporter, I still use it.

You Apple guys may want to look up a pihole. My son uses it for his smart tv since there's no adblocker software for that. Probably would work on an Apple device as well.

edit: heh heh.. I didn't mean that to be a joke but it sure sounds like one.

Back
Top Bottom