Pop quiz: diving on the moon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just called PADI. They said they offer a speciality course in moon diving. They also explained ot me that you could dive to 300FMW (Feet Moon Water) on air. With a EAN36 you could only do 250FMW.

I wanna dive the moon, do I need to be educated in astrophyisics too, or is that part of the PADI class. can I use Nitrox?

The __probable__ answer is that once in a modern (post 1983) space suit was used, you would be self-contained and would not need any of your SCUBA gear. You could "dive" on the planet or moon because the suit can sustain an astronaut in water. Astronauts already "dive" during simulations using neutral boyancy tanks.
With that said, that would be only under controlled situations because of the pure oxygen requirements below.

This is what I have from my early 1990's studies:

Extra Vehicextravehicular Activity (EVA) preparations begin the day before, when the equipment is checked out by the astronauts to make sure that everything works properly. Also, the pressure inside the crew cabin is lowered from 14.7 psi to 10.2 psi. About 2.5 hours before the extravehicular activity begins, the astronauts start to breathe pure oxygen. These procedures are done to "wash out" the nitrogen dissolved in the blood.

The life support unit contains enough oxygen and electrical power to support extravehicular activities for 6 hours (plus 1 hour for reserve and to suit-up and take-off the EMU). The life support system can be recharged with consumables such as oxygen, water, electrical power and lithium hydroxide between spacewalks, using the orbiter systems. A microcomputer, mounted on the chest of the upper torso, monitors the the oxygen and battery power supply. This computer also monitors the status of the EMU constantly, and would provide a warning signal in the event of a system failure.

So you wouldn't need your SCUBA computer.

The EVA training in preparation for a space flight is mainly conducted in giant water tanks. Because of the buoancy provided by water, scuba diving is the best simulation of space for EVA training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom