Poor Visibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfalco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Yesterday I made my first dive of the year. Water was warmer than I expected. Unfortunately there was only visibility of about 1 foot. :(

It was impossible to not loose my buddy without holding on to him. We played around in about 15' of water for a while before aborting the dive with about 2000 PSI still ramaining in our tanks.

Hopefully this weekend will yield some better dives.

What do you do when you run into such poor visibility? Abort the dive?

Drill

Thalassamania:

Great advice.

I did practice clearing my mask allot. (It was the first time I'v dived with a moustaache)

Most of the time if you are in a lake that is deep, you can descend down below the silt level and things will normally clear up. That is of course if the lake has already turned.

We were in the ocean. I did notice that it seemed to get a little clearer when I went down deeper, but my buddy didn't feel comfortable diving with the poor visibility.

Crappy vis = 50 feet. Im so spoiled! I dont think i would even put on my suit for vis like that.

mfalco:
We were in the ocean. I did notice that it seemed to get a little clearer when I went down deeper, but my buddy didn't feel comfortable diving with the poor visibility.

Last saturday was not much better. 3-5 if that at stage fort park.

This weekend is supposed to be a bit better. Guy at the dive shop told me they were calling 15-20 ft out of cape ann

That vis is just not fun! Where I dive, if we have southerly winds the vis is great, if northerly winds it's peasoup (and I hate peasoup). Maybe there are weather conditions that help the vis where you dive. If you determine that, just check the local conditions online and you'll always have a good dive. Good Luck!

you all are lucky, don't take it for granted. where i live 10 ft is awesome. but when it is all you have to dive, you learn to make do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom