Poor Vis 3-25-10 Black Bart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PatMyGreen

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Panama City Beach, Florida, United States
We took an advanced class out yesterday afternoon and into last night. Well the good news is that conditions were flat calm and warm topside. The bad news is that vis was 5-10'. Which is great for training but poor for enjoyment. It was that nasty green turbid stuff with alot of suspended large particulate. The bottom temp was 62-63*F though and I caught a nice sunset while the divers played in the gloom below.

Edit
Date was actually 3-24-10, sorry still on my first cup of coffee.

Attachments

• Capt View.jpg
    Capt View.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 68
Capt. Pat does the tide have a big effect on vis in the gulf? On high tide water from the gulf is pushed inland but does it work the same offshore?

Tides will play a part with sites closer to an inlet for sure, BB isn't that far off from the pass.

Tidal flow was incoming when we got there and peaked while we were there before running out. Most of the time the longshore current deflects the tidal flow away from the Bart, which is directly offshore from the direction of the channel. Generally the vis is better there than on the USS Strength which is the same distance from the channel only further East and closer to the beach. Frankly I think it is too far most of the time to be directly affected although we have run over the dirty "tideline" on the surface a few times within 1-2 miles of the Bart. The boat that was out there in the morning (Better Bottom Time) report 10-15' of vis there and 15' on span 14, a mile further back nearshore! So the clarity actually decreased as the tide came in. The Gulf stream has been doing wierd things lately and there has been some nasty outflow from the Mississippi that could be part of this, as could beach re-nourishment dredging, the liberal agenda or George Bush.

Moral of the story is that the sea is unpredictable, vis is better in general offshore but not always! My guess is that this is part of the same nasty water we saw 40 miles offshore over the last weekend between 50-80'. It went from clear water to puke and back to clear (but very dark) out there.

I haven't really herd anyone talk about tide outside of shore diving. Along with the weather I'm sure the gulfstream is all screwed up too. Thanks for the info!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom