Poor customer service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So does Awap get a free bag, too?

:popcorn:

I'm the OP, and I never received a new bag. I got nothing from Akona until I posted this, when I got a probing PM asking to pass the buck. Akona didn't respond to my multiple attempts to contact them directly before I posted this message.

Don't be mistaken, the "Sherwood Scuba Rep" posting on here is nothing more than a too-little-too-late attempt at mitigating PR (and a poor one at that). I don't to have to post a thread on scuba board every time I need to work with their customer service, so I'm just avoiding the company.

My bag still sits around broken. If I ever need it for a trip again, I might do my best to fix it, reinforce it with some aluminum strips from home depot, but it probably won't be worth my time, it'll probably end up getting thrown out alongside a bunch of other disposable overseas crap from manufacturers that don't care beyond the initial sale. And I would be fine with that if Akona hadn't charged the premium they did - which led me to believe they might actually try to take care of a customer.

I won't buy anything else Akona (or Sherwood - sounds like their customer service rep is the same), their name is mud in my eyes. I'm still having great luck with my Bad Bags ATB-1 - it's even more important to be lightweight these days when airplanes are so stingy with luggage restrictions, 7 lbs for a well made rolling duffel is great. I think my Akona was 11 lbs. Thats 4 lbs more SCUBA gear I can carry with me before worrying bout paying an overage fee. I still haven't had to contact Bad Bags customer service, because the bag is built like a tank. But the lifetime warranty and tales of good customer service from other people give me some confidence.

I've still been having consistently great experience with Patagonia and their customer service. In a large part because of that, I just invested in a pricy hard-shell jacket that I can expect to wear for years, and I have the peace of mind knowing if anything happens to it - even if its my fault - I can get it taken care of at a reasonable cost, or free. And next time I need an outdoor wear, I'm going straight back to Patagonia first. I tell other people about my experiences with Patagonia, and I've played a part in numerous friends and family buying Patagonia.

For backpacking I've had great luck with Gregory backpacks, I've upgraded a couple, and family members have bought a couple. It's well made stuff, great weight and when I tore one - completely my fault - I sent it in, asking how much it would cost to repair - and they sent me a brand new pack - at no cost. When friends ask about backpacking gear, I mention that. They have great designs and great customer service. I'll happily pay a premium for that.

Akona should learn some lessons about good customer service - it might actually help their bottom line.

Rob

Wow! :confused: I can not believe I missed this thread. Thanks I am in the market for a new bag. I know what brand I will not buy. Sorry for your bad experience but thanks for letting us know what is going on with Akona. :shakehead:

The airline broke the OP's bag, yet the manufacturer is the bad guy? I do not now, nor have I ever owned an Akona product. But perhaps I am missing how Akona is responsible for the airline breaking something....

Akona stands behind their products with a very strong 2 year warranty. We (as most all manufacturers) do not cover damage (most of the time caused by airlines) but we do cover defects. No, we do not please all of the people all of the time (nor do any of the manufacturers) but we do our best. If you do enough searching, you can find both postive and negative comments about any company. All of the companies mentioned in this thread sell quality products and offer great customer service. We sell thousands of bags all over the world and have thousands of very satisfied customers. If anyone in this thread has a defective product within the 2 year warranty with a proof of purchase from an authorized dealer, please contact an authorized dealer for warranty inspection/repair/replacement. If you product is damaged by the airlines, please contact that airlines customer service and file a claim. Rest assured Scubaboard readers, Akona sells qualtiy products and backs it up with a 2 year warranty.
Safe diving,
Team Akona

You may want to start a new thread. This one is 5 years old.
Problem with my Akona roller bag. Will see what the resolution is.

irrelevant. I'll keep using it just to feed the trolls-you
Your call. Do as you wish.

I just offered some advice I thought would be helpful. You can take it or leave it.

Have a nice night.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom