Poor buoyancy control>.<

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am coming up to the surface with air in my BCD. More then everyone else atleast. If i am coming up with a lot of air in my BCD am I over weighted?
Yep...

many of the divers are remain in vertical position (just like standing in midwater) when doing safety stop, but i can't remain in that position, every time once i'm in the vertical position, my legs will comes up and i will automatically fall to back side, so when i try to bring my leg down, once i kick, i goes up.. When this happen, i started to get anxious and it changes my breathing=( the end my buddy has to hold me when doing safety stop.. but still, because of me, my buddy missed his safety stop also as when i pop to surface, i brings him up also as he holding me.. so sorry about this :(

When doing safety stop, we shouldn't move our leg right? Wonder can i do my safety stop in horizontal position or i just swim around since i cannot do it in vertical position.

You can do your safety stop in any orientation you may happen to prefer... horizontal, lying on your back, head down, rotating like a top... so long as you remain at the stop depth. attitude doesn't matter so much as altitude.

If you find your feet drifting around, you can take a pound off your belt, and have a pair of elastic bands sewn up holding half a pound of lead duck shot each, just slip them on around your ankles, one per leg, and they will hold your feet down a little more.

Consider how all your weight is on your belt or your back, yet your legs are also buoyant and covered in buoyant neoprene... of course your legs are going to rise compared to your torso.

I'll echo the other posters who suggested you might be over weighted. When I first started diving I was very overweighted, and used to have a similar problem. I'd spend the whole dive working to stay off of the bottom, and then I'd be fighting it all at the safety stop.

It might be helpful for you to practice somewhere where you can do your safety stop on an anchor line, or something tangible you can orientate yourself with. It might help you relax a little bit so you can focus on your breathing, etc until you are more comfortable.

As others have mentioned, you just need patience and experience. The more dives that you do will help you to find what works best for you. Also, try taking a peak performance buoyancy course. This will help you to dial in your buoyancy.

Back
Top Bottom