Pool/Swimming Hole in Austin to try out new BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JessH

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone have any recommendations on a pool or swimming hole in/near Austin that I could use to try out and tune in my new Backplate and Wing setup?

Could always run out to the lake but it would be nice to have a place where it would be easy to get in and out for adjusting things, trying out weighting, etc... Plus I am lacking a buddy at the moment.

I know of a few shops with pools but I would feel like an *** asking to use it for equipment I bought elsewhere.

~Jess

Hey Jess, Trav is still your best bet, although this weekend it may not be quiet anywhere on it. As far as getting in and out easily, the trick is to go further up the lake where you can drive down to water in your vehicle, also kinda tricky at moment depending on what you drive. I am still playing with bouyancy/trim on my new BC, and wouldn't mind buddying up with you for an equipment adjustment session up at arkansas bend park or somewhere if you feel like giving me a ride. I live up near Dive World one on 620. Other choice is make friends with someone with a pool.

My weekend is open, buddy with boat won't go to lake on holiday weekends, and truck is sitting in garage waiting on some parts to arrive at moment. Other buds have 'family style' plans. So if you feel like driving north, I'll get the park entry and the beer for after if you feel like doing the driving. I was overweighted last week diving with Shaggie and Cuda, so was intending to pick up some smaller weights and try again before Trash Cleanup dive next week.

You know if you go to Barstows Platform 1 is out of the water now. It's a little crazy with divers but not super crazy right now.

Hey Ryan, I was at Barstows last weekend and you could still wet your toes there on platform but that was about it. I was thinking more along lines of a shore dive from a public park farther up lake that allows you to drive vehicle to waters edge and park there, makes for easy and short entry and exit. Also keeps you shallow at start, alway nice when diddlin' with new equipment. Lot of walking up and down the stairs at Barstows right now. I had hoped with the recent rains the rate of drop would have slowed down a bit.

ianr33:
You can drive up to the water at Windy Point and park on the large sand island.Travis is looking pretty sad at the moment !
And that is exactly what we did! The new gear worked out great, still need to do some minor tweaks and might actually be able to shed a little bit more weight (my weight belt has a whole 2 pounds on it, I think that is far too much). Thanks everyone for the replies. And thanks to NadMat for going diving with me and the Dane. See you in the morning!

~Jess

It was great diving with Kjel and Jess. At least once we got away from the zero viz silt out next to shore. To bad rain and traffic nixed us for this morning :( Plus my stuffed nose would have probably had me out this morning anyway, think I snorted some of Travis yesterday, was dripping out all last night.

Here is the after dive pic...

2986327460090248561muDIqL_ph.jpg

Back
Top Bottom