Pool session gone awry...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rainbowangel

Reaction score
My husband and I just passed our written OW tests last week. And last weekend went to the pool for a final practice session before we leave this weekend on our trip for our OW checkout dives.

Up until this last pool session, my hubby and I have both been completely comfortable in the water, no freak-outs or problems with any of the required skills. We go to the pool twice a week to practice (once during our class, and then once to practice what we went over in the class). We have always been trying to sneak something up on the other to make sure we both were comfortable with all our skills and wouldn't scare/freak out easily.

However, things changed during our last practice session at the pool. Trying to surprise me, my hubby randomly swam up to me while I was practicing removing and donning my gear underwater and gave me the "out of air" signal - and out came his reg. My octo came out and I handed it over to him, but in my hurry, I accidentally handed it to him upside-down. He didn't notice this either and took it to breathe from. I was about to reach over to grab his BC strap, so we could practice our sharing air ascent when he suddenly spit out my octo and bolted for the top. I tried to grab his BC to stop him, but I missed and it was too late for a second attempt, he was gone.

Afraid that something really was wrong I immediately ascended to check on him. When I asked him what had happened, why he'd shot for the top, he said he'd sucked water instead of air because the octo was upside down. His reg had remained easily within his grasp, resting over his shoulder the entire time... I asked him why he didn't simply switch back to it... And he said that he didn't know. Not only that, but he shrugged it off, like it was no big deal...

To me, however, it was a big deal. All I can think of is "What if that happens on our checkout dives when we're at fifty or more feet?" When I tried to talk to him about it... all he did was get angry with me because he didn't want out OWI to overhear what had happened (when I think our OWI should KNOW, so he could give advice or at least be aware of what happened in case stupid me accidentally gives him the octo upside down again on our checkout dives). He continues to act like it's no big deal and that I'm seriously over-reacting.

I was hoping to get some second, impartial opinions... Am I over-reacting? Or shouldn't he be brushing it off? I mean, I hope he'd have more sense than to dart up from 50 feet just because he got a mouthful of water.... but then he said he wasn't thinking at all when he did it in the pool... so I don't know. :(

Thanks for any advice anyone may have.

I think that at this stage you shouldn't be doing those surprise drills without supervision. If one diver is practicing a skill like gear doff and don the other shoule be standing by.

Get good at sharing air before pulling surprise drills on eachother especially when there is already a drill in progress.

Breathing through, or otherwise dealing with, an upside down reg is no big deal if you have your thinking cap on. Just hit the purge button to clear it once you tast water. Remember the cautios breath part? When you're underwater you can never assume that all you will get when you suck is air. There's always the chance of getting some water.

rainbowangel:
My husband and I just passed our written OW tests last week. And last weekend went to the pool for a final practice session before we leave this weekend on our trip for our OW checkout dives.

Up until this last pool session, my hubby and I have both been completely comfortable in the water, no freak-outs or problems with any of the required skills. We go to the pool twice a week to practice (once during our class, and then once to practice what we went over in the class). We have always been trying to sneak something up on the other to make sure we both were comfortable with all our skills and wouldn't scare/freak out easily.

However, things changed during our last practice session at the pool. Trying to surprise me, my hubby randomly swam up to me while I was practicing removing and donning my gear underwater and gave me the "out of air" signal - and out came his reg. My octo came out and I handed it over to him, but in my hurry, I accidentally handed it to him upside-down. He didn't notice this either and took it to breathe from. I was about to reach over to grab his BC strap, so we could practice our sharing air ascent when he suddenly spit out my octo and bolted for the top. I tried to grab his BC to stop him, but I missed and it was too late for a second attempt, he was gone.

Afraid that something really was wrong I immediately ascended to check on him. When I asked him what had happened, why he'd shot for the top, he said he'd sucked water instead of air because the octo was upside down. His reg had remained easily within his grasp, resting over his shoulder the entire time... I asked him why he didn't simply switch back to it... And he said that he didn't know. Not only that, but he shrugged it off, like it was no big deal...

To me, however, it was a big deal. All I can think of is "What if that happens on our checkout dives when we're at fifty or more feet?" When I tried to talk to him about it... all he did was get angry with me because he didn't want out OWI to overhear what had happened (when I think our OWI should KNOW, so he could give advice or at least be aware of what happened in case stupid me accidentally gives him the octo upside down again on our checkout dives). He continues to act like it's no big deal and that I'm seriously over-reacting.

I was hoping to get some second, impartial opinions... Am I over-reacting? Or shouldn't he be brushing it off? I mean, I hope he'd have more sense than to dart up from 50 feet just because he got a mouthful of water.... but then he said he wasn't thinking at all when he did it in the pool... so I don't know. :(

Interesting post and I for one am glad you asked these questions. Several things come to mind.

1. You should not be 'practising' skills you haven't been taught yet. Things are bound to go wrong.
2. I would not expect an OW student to be able to deal with and out of air during an equipment removal. In fact that would be tough for a rescue diver to deal with initially.
3. Your instructor will not task load you to that extent (which is why you should not try new skills unsupervised) in the open water and you will not be put under that much stress at 60 feet.
4. it is actually a good thing that that happened in a way. I actually get my students to put their reg in upside down so they get a feel for what it should NOT feel like. Again supervision is everything at this stage of your training.

Relax, enjoy your course and don't worry. Everything will be just fine.

Actually, we'd already been taught all the skills we were practicing. :) We were just trying to prepare for our OW checkout dives. I didn't have problems getting him the octo... but well... the rest went downhill. : (

Thanks for the advice. : )

rainbowangel:

Someday, in the real world when you have a better idea of what you are doing and you’re familiar with your gear, you can play all the games you want. For now listen to your OWI and DO WHAT THEY SAY.

Hubby should have been able to notice the reg was upside down and it sounds like it is hard for him to admit defeat.

You will do fine on the OW dives if you two “Listen now play later”.

Gary D.

Gary D.:
Someday, in the real world when you have a better idea of what you are doing and you’re familiar with your gear, you can play all the games you want. For now listen to your OWI and DO WHAT THEY SAY.

Hubby should have been able to notice the reg was upside down and it sounds like it is hard for him to admit defeat.

You will do fine on the OW dives if you two “Listen now play later”.

Gary D.

---Hrm, I'm not certain where this idea that either of us were disobeying or not listening to our OWI came from (I guess from the first poster that I didn't correct?). We were there out of class practicing, as is encouraged by out OWI. We weren't trying anything we hadn't done before. And we certainly listen very carefully to every bit of advice that our OWI has... he's the one who suggested things like, randomly practicing out of air drills, etc.

My sole concern was should I tell our OWI about what happened or not.

Thanks though.

Well, to answer your question....I would say YES you need to talk to your instructor and you need to do so ASAP. Make sure your hubby is also there to listen to the response. Who knows what his response will be, but if you and your hubby are trusting this instructor to certify both of you, then you should be open with him about any concerns you may have about diving...that is what they are there for.

Do me a favor and report back on the response of the instructor! I'm curious on the response.

Jason

rainbowangel:
---Hrm, I'm not certain where this idea that either of us were disobeying or not listening to our OWI came from (I guess from the first poster that I didn't correct?). We were there out of class practicing, as is encouraged by out OWI. We weren't trying anything we hadn't done before. And we certainly listen very carefully to every bit of advice that our OWI has... he's the one who suggested things like, randomly practicing out of air drills, etc.

Thanks though.

I don't think it makes a big difference whether you tell the instructor or not. I think you both learned the most important lesson here so it would depend on what you hope to gain by telling him.

I think that they were referring to the skill of giving someone your reg while you are still in the middle of donning your gear.. I don't remember learning that in my OW, but I could be wrong. It really dosen't matter that much what you were doing..

I think that you should talk to your OWI about any concerns you have, that way he undwersatnd if you have some hesitation at 50 or 60 feet. He won't think that you just can't do it, but rather thinking really hard about doing it right. Make sense?

Thats what I would do at least. Make sense??

Safe diving! :D
Kayla

rainbowangel:

Thanks though.
No harm intended but your post led me to believe you did this AFTER class. So that left us thinking the OWI may or may not have been there.

So let me rephrase what I said earlier. You shouldn’t be multi-tasking and surprising each other yet. Go through the motions slowly. In time and with practice the speed and accuracy will come together.

You may think you know your gear but trust me, you don’t at this stage of diving. One drill we use for training is to take of one of our divers gear into another room away from them. Then we disassemble it and lay it out on a tarp. The lights go out and we time them on how long it takes to put everything together and get into it RIGHT. That’s a start on knowing your gear. We don’t care about the time as long as there are NO mistakes. Normally it’s less than 10 minutes.

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom