Pool Diving for Now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well Viz at the begining to mid seaseon is around 50' Although water temps well if we have enough Day's of a heat wave maybe will get surface temps to 78. But if you should change your mind. Enough people there and We usually go up everyweekend or try to your welcome to join

Somewhere in SB there's a quote that goes something like this "and you flop like a dead tuna into gin clear water the temperature of a urine specimen." That's for me![/QUOTE]

LOL, that's funny... and spoiled

Well... I'm moving to Ft. Lauderdale... I hope to be spoiled as well... lol

...looks like you will be well acquainted with the deep end section of your pool then:D

No, my wife did not dive Turks and Caicos in September.

Thanks for the suggestion to "dive local," but we really have no interest in cold water diving.

Keep those suggestions coming in folks!

You'd be surprised at how amazing 2 grey fish and a crab can be in a barren land at the bottom of the sea. It's not picture perfect, but here in Sweden we dive with an average of 3m visibility and cold water. And I wasn't planning on diving anything but cocktail dives, but once you try it...

No, my wife did not dive Turks and Caicos in September.

Thanks for the suggestion to "dive local," but we really have no interest in cold water diving.

Keep those suggestions coming in folks!

Too bad, ya don't know what your missing. I've done some night dives here that the tropics couldn't hold a candle too. Enjoy the pool.

There are a lot of useful things you can do in your pool, and kudos to you for wanting to stay active during your enforced surface interval.

Polishing buoyancy and trim is one useful thing. Play with your weights and the positioning of them, until you can float in a horizontal position without finning. You can easily construct a buoyancy course, as has already been mentioned, using hula hoops and dive weights and different lengths of cord, and learn to swim through hoops at different depths by breath control alone. If you can contrive a weight with a stick sticking up from it, you can practice hovering with one fingertip touching the stick, and then with your nose touching it (much harder!)

Once you are rock solid at buoyancy, add task loading. Try flooding and clearing your mask in midwater, without changing depth or swimming yourself out of position. Do regulator recovery the same way, and then practice air-sharing with your wife, trying to hold your position in midwater while establishing the air-share, and then doing a controlled, slow ascent.

Practice swimming with no mask or with your eyes closed. It really keys you in on the physical clues for depth and orientation in the water.

Learn the alternative kicks -- videos of frog kick, back kick and helicopter turns are available on YouTube.

Lots of stuff you can do in a pool.

Lots of stuff you can do in a pool.

Including having mom hold the little tyke in the water while you blow bubbles up his bottom. Giggles will ensue.

Peace,
Greg

Greetings HJefferyM and congratulations on the baby! Kids are awesome and be sure to include him or her in diving activities or pool time.
Wow TSandM hit it out of the park once again and there is no waisted time spent underwater if you are actively pursuing honing diving technique.
The skills previously mentioned will keep you busy for longer than you would think.
I love to dream up different ways to complicate skills like doing things mask free.
If you have a safety or thumb reel you can have all kinds of fun. Be sure to obtain permission to bring coated weights or like "pool friendly" weights that you can run the line around in a obstacle coarse of sorts. At each weight perform a specific skill. When you have mastered this up the anne and do it mask free, while hovering, upside down, what ever you can come up with. I love to create games out of skills and have had a riot with students in the pool. Just following the line mask free can be fun because you have to concentrate on your buoyancy as you change depth.
It would be helpful to find a couple of fellow pool players to make it really fun.
I have taken some hilarious photo's of others and have been the focus of a few not so flattering ones myself. The key is to have fun but accomplish demonstration and mastery of your skills. Pool time rocks and I do not miss a month usually ever. I can spend hours in a pool trying new and different gear. Shoot some times I just snorkel and play around practicing breath holds. Water is water and if you focus you can accomplish much in the pool. Go for it!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Thanks to TSandM and CamG for their great suggestions. We'll do buoyancy, mask, doff and don weights and BCD, etc. I love the idea of setting up an obsticle course with hoops at different depths! We will also practice deploying our SMBs.

One other question for the discussion....

With a max depth of 12ft, is there any real dive time limitation in my pool? The tables will, of course, tell you to consider any dive <30ft (PADI) or <40ft (NAUI) to be a dive to that depth. Do I have to do that in a pool? Can you actually take a DCS hit from 12 ft? Should we do a 3 min safety stop at 6ft? Sounds silly, but I'm asking....

Thanks to all and happy diving!

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom