Pool Diving for Now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HJeffreyM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I had our first baby this past January. We both hold AOW and Nitrox cards and love to dive. Our last trip was Turks and Caicos in Sept '09.

I promised her that we would not take a vacation for one year from January so the only place I'll be diving any time soon is our backyard pool. It is 12feet at the deep end.

I am hoping my colleagues here on SB could suggest a number of exercises we could do to try to maintain basic skills during our absence from OW diving.

Thanks all!
Jeff

so long as you occasionally practice basics i think the only thing that would really help is maybe some buoyancy skills. A hoop with a weight at the bottom in the deep end would give you a nice target to nail them down, if you can hover comfortable in 12ft of water your going to have no problems in open water.

You don't have to take vacation. NY Dive group is very active locally. Plenty to dive there.

You don't have to take vacation. NY Dive group is very active locally. Plenty to dive there.

There's your best answer. Diving up north is challenging but can be a lot of fun and will expand your knowledge and techniques,of course you need the proper exposure suit.

How old is the baby? I think she can now do PADI Bubblemaker at 18 months...

WARNING: This was a joke - dressing babies in scuba gear and pushing them under water should not be done without professional supervision.

My wife and I had our first baby this past January. We both hold AOW and Nitrox cards and love to dive. Our last trip was Turks and Caicos in Sept '09.

Jeff

You're not suggesting your wife dived this past September when she was 5 months pregnant are you?

I can't imagine anyone would be that foolish but almost nothing surprises me anymore.

No, my wife did not dive Turks and Caicos in September.

Thanks for the suggestion to "dive local," but we really have no interest in cold water diving.

Keep those suggestions coming in folks!

Thanks for the suggestion to "dive local," but we really have no interest in cold water diving.

Try it, you might like it :wink:

Dutch Springs,

Is a great Place to Dive. it is however little cold but the surface tends to warm up into the Mid
70's in lat summer. and is not that bad. Depending on how your body tolerates the cold water. I seen people in 3-5-7 mil wetsuits through out the summer no hoods/gloves. Ofcourse that Family did not go below 30' as the thermocline temp's drop around 10 degrees but still Great Place to dive and practice skills. If you have never been there it's a great place. You should atleast go once to check it out. If it's too Cold you can head to the aquaPark and have some fun.

Dutch Springs

HomeBigPic.jpg

fadepic2.jpg

Thanks for the cold water suggestions. But, as I mentioned, neither my wife or I are interested in diving in <78 water. Frankly, 80s would be better. Not too interested in <50ft vis either!

Somewhere in SB there's a quote that goes something like this "and you flop like a dead tuna into gin clear water the temperature of a urine specimen." That's for me!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom