Pool activities (or toys) for kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I teach Scuba Rangers and besides the torpedoes, the biggest hits are underwater cameras (can usually find cheap digital ones with housing on ebay) and slates/wetnotes. We also run specialities for the kids who have completed the basic rangers program. We've done navigation , buoyancy, "deep", freediving, bring a buddy, and a few others. It keeps the kids active and interested and they learn some new skills along the way. If they're doing pool sessions anyway, your shop might be willing to step it up a bit if you ask!

my lds does stations - underwater mr potato head building, tic tac toe with those glass beads you put in planters, toypedos through hoops, beanbag toss at targets, etc.

How did I get almost 18 years into diving, and no one taught us shooting hydro-rings from a 2-liter soda bottle??? this should have been taught in OW right along with blowing air rings, and leaving Carnival doubloons on a wreck just ahead of your buddy.

How many lives could have been saved?? I'm just shocked...

;-)

I teach Scuba Rangers and besides the torpedoes, the biggest hits are underwater cameras (can usually find cheap digital ones with housing on ebay) and slates/wetnotes. We also run specialities for the kids who have completed the basic rangers program. We've done navigation , buoyancy, "deep", freediving, bring a buddy, and a few others. It keeps the kids active and interested and they learn some new skills along the way. If they're doing pool sessions anyway, your shop might be willing to step it up a bit if you ask!

My daughter did the PADI Master Seal program that included navigation, photography, etc. Her favourites were night diving in her instructors backyard pool (she liked finding all of the dead bugs that had not been vacuumed up), and using a small lift bag to raise small objects from the bottom of the pool.

Kmurray719 is right... just ask your shop. We could not do the night dive part at their usual pool rental for instruction. I supplied some steaks for a good steak dinner on the grill after the dive tasks were done at her instructor's back yard pool. We all had a great time! I think my daughter may still be the only one to have done PADI's Master Seal program at my LDS. My LDS definitely stepped it up for my daughter!

That was all a few years ago. She is now 13 years old, and has her Jr Master Scuba certification (a goal that she set for herself). She still likes practicing with the lift bags though...

Otherwise, I will be bringing a 2L plastic Coke bottle to the pool next time we practice skills, and it could well be the cheapest pool toy ever for my own backyard pool!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom