Pool activities (or toys) for kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason

Not an Angel
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My eight year old went through the SSI Scuba Rangers program over Christmas break and really enjoyed it. I'm very lucky that a LDS an hour away from me has a very active kids program. They host Scuba Rangers dives on the first Friday night of every month.

We've gone up three times now And he has really looked forward to going. Tonight was the first time that I saw the possibility that he's getting bored with swimming in circles in the deep end of the pool.

They will throw some torpedos into the pool that we use to play catch. And sometimes some rings to swim through. They do their best to engage the kids but it can sometimes be like herding cats. :)

They do let me get into the pool with him. It's precious time with my boy.

So, I ask all of you. What can I do with him down there that will be fun for him? I don't want to just drill him on skills. I do that, but I want it to be fun for him. Eight year olds want to play. Any ideas for activities that I can suggest or toys that I can take down with us that will be engaging?

Thanks!

IMG_4239.PNG

I have a bunch of golf balls and spoons that I use for various exercises. Sometimes we use buoyancy diamonds etc. and traffic cones can be amusing if you have them. Another thing I have are some hockey pucks and little stubby plastic hockey sticks that are slightly negative. I like playing with these because you can get the students minds off of diving but still do something that keeps them neutrally buoyant.

One thing I did with my daughter when she was learning to dive (I got to the point where I really couldn't think of anything either) was to show her a bubble ring. As soon as she realized that you could blow bubble rings her mind was focused on that for days until she figured it out. :)

R..

Get some nylon or PVC nuts and bolts. Large ones. Then buy some flanges and PVC tubing. have them assemble projects in the water while remaining neutral as the end goal.

I have a bunch of golf balls and spoons that I use for various exercises. Sometimes we use buoyancy diamonds etc. and traffic cones can be amusing if you have them. Another thing I have are some hockey pucks and little stubby plastic hockey sticks that are slightly negative. I like playing with these because you can get the students minds off of diving but still do something that keeps them neutrally buoyant.

One thing I did with my daughter when she was learning to dive (I got to the point where I really couldn't think of anything either) was to show her a bubble ring. As soon as she realized that you could blow bubble rings her mind was focused on that for days until she figured it out. :)

R..

Get some nylon or PVC nuts and bolts. Large ones. Then buy some flanges and PVC tubing. have them assemble projects in the water while remaining neutral as the end goal.

Great ideas. Thanks!

Has anybody ever tried something like this? Looks like it could be a lot of fun if it works.

I made a note to try that water ring thing the next time I'm ever in a pool. Once in a while I will be in one and--in the shallow end, where you can stand up...-- I will exhale and sit on the bottom and wave to people. Would be interesting to shoot a water ring from there to up in the air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom